Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jeff2173 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Hardy outside boilers
    I have a hardy Outside wood boiler that I need to wire a new t-sat too and use my my blower on my rheem furnace can someone tell me how to do this also I ran a two wire t-sat wire to the wood boiler for the pump to run but I do not were these wires go. Thanks
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:23 AM
    Does your boiler have a combustion blower or electric damper on it that can be controlled by a thermostat? What brings on the pump? Does it have a starter or contactor?

Jul 26, 2007, 09:32 AM
    It has a electric damper on it
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 09:50 AM
    In order for a thermostat to operate a device the control voltage must be taken into account among other things. The thermostat could energise a relay that in turn would make or break the control circuit for the pump (meaning turning on the switch or starter for the pump) That way the load(amps) on the thermostat would be reduced to operating just the relay and not all the controls for the boiler and pump not to say possibly a different voltage.
    The thermostat could be wired to open and close the damper to kill the draft to the flames through a relay thus stoking or killing the flames (heat), the pump could be controlled also through a temperature device so that it runs only when there is hot water .
    The options are all there, just how and what you want to accomplish. Mike

Jul 26, 2007, 10:04 AM
    There is a thermostat on the back of the boiler that controls the damper it is set to 170o f the thermostat in the house controls the water pump and the blower on my furnace. I want to keep both gas furnace and boiler running on same blower but I don't know how to wire two thermostats to one furnace. Also there is a relay on the back of the boiler that the thermostat wire gos to.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:12 AM
    If you purchased a relay with a 24 volt coil with a set of contacts that were normally open, you could wire the thermostat 24 volts to the coil of the relay and connect the control circuit of the pump to the normally open contacts of the relay, When the relay is energised it would complete the circuit to the pump controls. Keep in mind that you are breaking a circuit with this relay, which means taking one control wire and cutting it in two and then connecting these two ends of the wire to the relay, the relay is completing the circuit.
    This relay on the back of the boiler may just be what you need , check the coil voltage on this relay it should be 24 volts.

Jul 26, 2007, 10:19 AM
    This is a Honeywell DPDT relay
    With a 24 volt coil. Terminal 4 and 6 (normally open contacts) are used to turn on the
    Water pump. Control voltage (24 volts) connected at terminals 7 and 8 routed through a
    Home thermostat energizes the relay. I got this hook up its hooking the thermostat wires in house that I need to know
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:23 AM
    The thermostat wires in the house would connect to the furnace terminel board on the common "C" and the white "W" terminels.
    The wiring of the thermostat is from the thermostat to the furnace using the same colors at the thermostat as are at the furnace board , white for "w" green for "G" , red for "R" , Yellow for "Y"
    G is for fan, w is for heat, y is for cooling, R is for the hot wire from the transformer. The common from the transformer does not always go to the thermostat, depends on the thermostat.

Jul 26, 2007, 10:55 AM
    What about the two comeing in from outside
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 12:15 PM
    The two from the boiler would go to the "C" and "W"
    The two from the air conditioning unit will go to "C" and "Y"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hardy wardy [ 2 Answers ]

Is it really hard to stay in University when you just barely got in?

View more questions Search