Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kash_2007 Posts: 22, Reputation: -2

Jul 25, 2007, 02:28 PM
    Hose fitting?
    Hi all

My problem is that I need to attach a -6 an braided hose to slightly smaller hard pipe. Obviously it dose not clamp down very well and leeks badly:eek: is there I way I can get around this by not changing the hose as the other end is paired up with the correct size hard line!

Kash
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Jul 25, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Need mor info to help, Did you use a hose clamp?

Jul 26, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Hi

Yes I used aautomotive hose clamp but it just ovaled inside leaving a jap on rither side!

Jul 26, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Lol gap!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 27, 2007, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kash_2007
    hi all

my problem is that i need to attach a -6 an braided hose to slightly smaller hard pipe. obviously it dose not clamp down very well and leeks badly:eek: is there i way i can get around this by not changing the hose as the other end is paired up with the correct size hard line!?

kash
    You're attempting to attach your braided hose on too small a pipe. The pipe needs to be bushed out to accept the clamp. Since you've failed to tell us what material the pipe is that's about all we can tell you at this time. Regards, tom

Jul 27, 2007, 12:48 PM
    Darnit. Yeah it's a metal pipe but not sure what material. It's a fule line hard pipe on a honda civic hatch!

Kash
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 27, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Not to be too harsh here but...

I strongly suggest you get your stuff together with regard to fuel lines! Braided hoses may look nice and all, but they won't help your car go faster, and they darn sure won't help in an engine fire!

This is a plumbing forum, not an automotive one, hence the lack of responses when you mentioned that you're using AN -6 braided line.

Anyhow, you're never going to get the primary benefit of braided hose (high pressure capability) by using hose clamps on it.. What you should be using are actual AN fittings, like these:
    an hose fitting - JEGS High Performance

The right way to do this is to use the proper sized flared fitting and given that this is for a performance fuel line (even in a Civic) you probably want to use 3/8" hard line since that's closest to the size of AN -6. Here's the fitting:
    JEGS 100106 - JEGS AN to NPT Adapter Fittings - JEGS

I know this probably doesn't answer your question, since I doubt you intended to replace the hard line in question with something better, which will require some flaring tools and a steady hand. Of course, you haven't mentioned what size the hard line actually is, which on the Civic may be 1/4" (???), and there is a legit -6 to 1/4" fitting: JEGS 100104 - JEGS AN to NPT Adapter Fittings - JEGS

It is NOT a good idea to "bush" or otherwise try to make a too-big hose seal or clamp to that hardline, as your car is fuel injected, with the pump in or near the tank. That means this line carries around 60 or more psi. A leak is too dangerous to risk, in my opinion.

Sorry if this comes off as uncool or harsh, but it's the reality. Please get the correct fittings. A complete kit for your car from filter to fuel rail is only around $75, which will seem like a really small price if you're standing on the side of the road waiting for the fire department to come put out your car.
    Honda Civic Russell Stainless Steel Fuel Line Kit at PRO Civic.com

~aaron

Jul 29, 2007, 02:58 PM
    OK dude you an arse! If I wanted a moan ill see my misses who can do that for me any time! I'm not buying braided lines to make my car go faster mate ~( I'm not some little kid who dose not have a clue!) I have just performed a 1.3 carb to a 1.6 vtec injection swap and have kept the original fuel tank and fule lines hence the braided lines as thee are connected to an earls filter and so on! I understand this is a plumbing forum but in this case it has every thing to do with PLUMBING as the two tie in together believe it or not! And no I will benefit from a the braided hose with clamps as all oem high pressure line use snap on clamps which are north that better screw clamps! Lastly as this is getting very boring now the car runs 40 psi with a walbro 225 inline pump and all the fitting used have been ptfe so no leakes are present! I have fixed the problem now with an incore pipe adapter which has worked very good! Next time ask before you release! The world is big and not everyone is as stupid as you probably think!!

Kash
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 29, 2007, 06:01 PM
    if I wanted a moan ill see my misses who can do that for me any time!
    Ha! This has honestly made my week... Thanks!

... a 1.3 carb to a 1.6 vtec injection swap and have kept the original fuel tank and fule lines... a walbro 225 inline pump
    Well, good. Then I'll assume that you've done your research and have installed a fuel return line after the pressure regulator, as you surely know that running an electric pump "deadhead" will burn it up shortly since it relies on fuel flow for cooling.

not everyone is as stupid as you probably think!!
    I'm sure you're right, but if it quacks like a duck...

~aaron

[EDIT: Oh, I see it's been moved to the appropriate forum! Thanks, whoever did that... ]

Jul 30, 2007, 02:54 PM
    There was already a fuel return line!

There you go again assuming I don't know what to do!

Quack quack

Oh and I'm glad I made your week :)

kitch428 no one knows who I am so I don't know how you think you know I'm some kid. I have kids of my own! I an electronic engineer to start with! Learn how to write?? I did that years ago. Oh my spelling mistakes. Mybad for typing fast.

CaptainRich this is what I am doing by asking for help? Learning on how to connect fuel lines. Watch my attitude. My attitude was fine till someone eleses attitude got in the way!

I didn't ask for none of your opions so but out!

All I wanted to know was how to connect a big hose to a little hard ine! Its not that hard ( I did it myself at the end- this was only for a second opinion)

Sorry but I don't sit back and take crap.

If you have had a bad day have wank or something rather than taking it out on people you don't know!

End
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 30, 2007, 03:43 PM
    learn how to write?? I did that years ago. Oh my spelling mistakes. Mybad for typing fast.
    For someone who claims an education, you still come off as inarticulate due to your fast typing. I do it too and people will judge you for it. If we struggle to read what you type, why bother?

I didn't ask for none of your opions so but out!
    I guess your post here is to show us you have a keyboard?

sorry but I don't sit back and take crap.
    For someone who's only been at this site for a few weeks, you sure like to dish it out!

if you have had a bad day have wank or something rather than taking it out on people you don't know!

End
    I hope it's the end. Good bye!:mad:
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 03:47 PM
    Sorry, mate. Hey, it's a new week! "have a wank" LOL. You just made mine too!! PMSL

Jul 31, 2007, 01:29 PM
    kitch428- now this guys got sense, just knock it on the head!

Sorry about that to kitch428!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Hose Leaking, removed hose pipe drips [ 5 Answers ]

Previously it was leaking at the top where shower hose goes onto the threads of the pipe at top, I wrapped the threads with teflon tape so that now that part is dry, no leaking, but the hose continues to leak at the bottom (hand held piece). I totally unscrewed the shower hose from the pipe and see...

Another name for fitting? [ 2 Answers ]

I will soon be taking the state exam to get my license. On the material list is a "90 degree twin elbow". Am I missing something? I don't know what fitting they are talking about. A little help would be much appreciated. Any ideas?

Fitting to use? [ 2 Answers ]

2889Please see attached picture. My question is about the fitting where the trap arm connects with the vent line. I would like to use a sanitary tee in order to be able to maintain the proper pitch for water to run. I am unable to maintain pitch if use the sanitary tee vertically. I have read...

Fitting Upstairs Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I currently have a downstairs toilet only, the waste outlet on this goes directly into the floor. I need to fit an upstairs toilet. Can I plumb the waste outlet into the current stack pipe which services waste from the bath & sink?

View more questions Search