Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Jul 27, 2005, 02:30 PM
    SLUGS In The Garden.
    We've had slugs eating our garden plants, herbs, and flowers before, but nothing like this year. Tried just about everything from slug bait to hand picking and just can't seem to make a dent in the little slimeballs. If anyone has something that works for them, please let me know. (It has been an especially wet summer so I know that has something to do with it.)
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2005, 03:22 PM
    Methods I've heard but never used:

Spread salt in the area or in pie tins, will dehydrate them on contact?

Use a tin with beer... silly slugs can't resist?

Spread course salt or crushed eggshells in the area, as they don't like the rough surface

And keep the area as light and dry as possible

Never had to deal with them, so all I know is these are methods I've heard about.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2005, 09:01 PM
    I've heard the tin of beer one, tried it one time and got a few, but then again, I didn't have a problem with them, I was just trying :D
    smem Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2005, 11:24 AM
    Beer Works!
    I have had the same problem with slugs this summer as well. I put out a shallow dish of beer and collected almost 40 slugs in a week! Putting more than one container out will also probably up your chances of getting most of them. I hope it works for you!
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2005, 05:48 PM
    Yeah, it certainly works, me I got ten in a day or so, it had been raining for quite a while, so they were out and about. I believe they love the smell it gives off, and once they get in... well... just make sure no animals get to it :D
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Jul 31, 2005, 08:10 AM
    I'll try the beer. Everything else failed so I'll give it a shot. Thanks to all for your ideas. DAVE.
    moongrl Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2005, 11:18 AM
    Slugs
    Hi there,
    I was just reading and came across your slug problem... you are right, the wet weather has everything to do with it! Something the others didn't mention was about watering your garden. Be sure to do it in the early morning so that the plants have all day to dry out. Watering in the evening leaves moisture on the leaves and invites the slugs to come and feed. Because moisture is imperitive for slugs to live, it is also important that you be sure to space your plants to ensure proper air circulation. This will reduce moisture and thus reduce slugs as well. HOpe this helps... and keep on growing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slugs on outside of house [ 1 Answers ]

Hi does anyone have any easy and fast results to get rid of slugs on my siding? I've knocked them all off and bought slug pellet stuff but through the night they work their way back onto the siding Any help will be great thanks

Garden of Eden... [ 1 Answers ]

God returned to the Garden of Eden to see how things were progressing and spots Adam enjoying a bit of sun-bathing. " Hi there Adam - How's things going ?? " " Well Lord it is just great. I've even started giving things names...... That Big yellow thing - I've called the Sun....... and...

Cat dirt in my garden [ 11 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me a proven cure for keeping cats out of my garden, I've tried orange peel, garlic cloves and other than getting a dog don't know what to do next. I don't want to hurt them, just don't want them making my garden smelly.

Garden Pool [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently moved into a house with a 3' x 4' concrete garden pool. It has a spout in the middle of the pool and city water can be turned on with an old-fashion T device. There is also a built-in overflow valve. A plumber advised me that I should not use city water, because it would cost...

Lawn & Garden [ 2 Answers ]

I just got ripped off by a landscaper. He installed my new lawn. I won't go into major detail about it. I have patchy grass. I know it takes a few years for it to fill out (I think). He left me high and dry. My lawn is full of weeds. Should I use weed & feed at this time of year on a new...

View more questions Search