Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 08:52 AM
    How to shorten your resume
    How will you shorten your resume if it has 2-3 pages length. I want to better it into a shoter version.

I really think all the stuff are necessary, I just happen to have done a lot in college.

What is your suggestion? And does it really matter if my resume is that long?

Thanks
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 08:54 AM
    Depends on what you are applying for. For entry level positions, one page is sufficient. You want to be brief, bright and relevant. I'm not going to spend an half hour reading your resume. I don't have that kind of time.

If your position is akin to a Dr. then a longer resume (cirriculum vitae) is expected.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 08:59 AM
    How long have you been out of college? If its more then 2 years I'd pull it off.

You also want to tailor your resume for the job you are applying for. You want to highlight your skills and exp that relate to the new position. Nothing would drive me more nuts then seeing a blanket objective on a resume that was not applicable to the job. (which is why I recommend getting rid of them - its goofy its assumed your objective is to get the job, right?)
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 09:00 AM
    I just feel pity for the rest of stuff they are very impressive too...
    Thanks for the advice. What do u mean by "akin to a Dr."?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Resume is a French word that means "summary" and is not your academic and work histories down to the nth detail. Resumes should be one page, unless, as someone mentioned, you are a doctor or have years of work experience with a number of skills under your belt.

Most employers want to know what skills you have that will help their companies make money and cut costs. They don't care what clubs you've belonged in college or even the awards you've earned. Most don't want to see your GPA on the resume. If they are interested in any of that, they will ask at the interview.

Since 1985, I've helped people improve their resumes. One fellow was a high school graduate with a seven-page resume. He spend two pages "discussing" his two years in the Army. Another client had two master's degrees and twenty years of work experience, but we got his three-page resume down to one sparkling page that was interesting to read yet concise and said all it needed to say.

Gear the resume to the type of job you want. The cover letter should be three short paragraphs. If you need more help and want my (free!) input, please send me a private message.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 25, 2007, 09:32 AM
    Here's a little bit of advice. Most employers don't care squat about extra-curricular activities in college. I've read over 100 resumes in the past 7 or so years, and in some cases, too many extra-curricular activities can make it appear that you are more concerned with your avocation than your vocation. I was on a hiring committee for three of those seven years.

Here's how you should structure your resume:

Education: Grad school Name on top, GPA immediately below. Below that, your major, and courses in which you excelled. Then, Undergrad college below with GPA, and no information about high school - ever. Only one or two lines should be devoted to extra-curricular, and then only if it will benefit you on the job; e.g. "Debate team - 2003-2007, National conference finalist Sept. 2005" Be very short in descriptions of extra-curricular. Our entire college experience should only take up the top one third to one half of the resume, even if you attended 4 universities. After two are listed, just list the names and dates for other schools.

Work experience: even internship and some types of volunteer work counts; should read: "National Institute of Health, Bethesda, Md. May 2004 - Sept. 2004, volunteer" next line "studied impact of nutrition in reduction of basal cell carcinoma; performed labratory analyses under supervision of Lab director; participated in research for article x." Next section "Gap, Dallas, Tx- Summers 2005-2007" "Performed all customer service-related functions including greeting, merchandising, point of sale operations, and retail aesthetic duties. Regularly encouraged customers to participate in incentive-based promotions." Start each sentence with an action verb. And select descriptive terms to put the best spin on menial tasks, such as signing people up for store credit cards.

Then, ONLY if you have room at the bottom of the first page after your education and work experience can you put a section entitled "Extracurricular" next line "champion horse jumper, 2001; volunteer Special Olympics, Summers 2001-2007; etc. But this section should never be more than two or max three lines long.

Leave off any political organizations or religious-related extra-curricular unless you are trying to work for a political or religious organization. You never know who is going to read it, and even if you are very proud of being Vice President of the Federalist Society, Mr. Joe Schmo employer may not be so impressed, and may discard your resume on a political or religious ground before you even get a foot in the door.
    Old_Fart Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

Jul 25, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    How will you shorten your resume if it has 2-3 pages length. I want to better it into a shoter version.

I really think all the stuff are necessary, I just happen to have done a lot in college.

What is your suggestion? and does it really matter if my resume is that long?

Thanks
    Your resume can be as many pages as it needs to be. Generally the more experience you have, the longer the resume can be. However, regardless of the length, you must make the "sale" about halfway down the first page or you will lose your audience.

Having said that a resume can be as long as it needs to be, I will say that anything over 3 pages, isn't going to be read either. One or two pages is the norm except in unique cases.

Also limit yourself to the last 15 years' experience. (I know this doesn't apply to your case). Anything older than that is most likely outdated.

My resume is about 4-5 pages long. I don't really know as I seldom actually print this version of my resume out. I use an old joke to edit my resume:

Q: How do you make a statue of an elephant?
    A: Start with a big block of granite and chip away everything that does not look like an elephant.

My mega-resume is my block of granite. I chip away everything that does not apply to the job for which I am posting regardless how impressive it is. For example, I have 13 years experience flying airplanes -- most jobs don't require my aviation skills so I don't even mention it.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jul 25, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Your resume shouldn't be over a page, no matter what you've done.

My father has over 30 years experience in his field, including engineering and management, numerous professional associations, executive positions and directorships for over a dozen regional societies within his profession.

His resume fits on one page.

If yours can't, then you've got a lot of extraneous stuff in there.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 02:03 PM
    No matter what the field, if it's entry level then it needs to be 1 page. Most people put too many details about jobs that don't relate to what they are applying for. Don't name companies you worked for for less than a year, and no one really cares about your hobbies.

2 pages are acceptable if it's a managerial position or a position of importance. I've looked at many resumes and helped people work on them and rarely see a 3 (or more) page resume once it's gone over.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nosnosna
    Your resume shouldn't be over a page, no matter what you've done.

My father has over 30 years experience in his field, including engineering and management, numerous professional associations, executive positions and directorships for over a dozen regional societies within his profession.

His resume fits on one page.

If yours can't, then you've got a lot of extraneous stuff in there.
    The leaderships and honors, other skills, plus volunteering has occupied 35% of the space. I shorten volunteering to only two lines but still... it's 2.5 pages right now.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jul 25, 2007, 02:14 PM
    90% of that stuff, the recruiter isn't going to care about. At all.

Go through every single item you're putting on there and prioritize it. Cut the lowest priority items off until you get it down to a page.
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 02:19 PM
    Thank you for your advice, I am working on that.I am also interested to see your dad's resume:)
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Aug 28, 2007, 11:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldieMae
    Here's a little bit of advice. Most employers don't care squat about extra-curricular activities in college. I've read over 100 resumes in the past 7 or so years, and in some cases, too many extra-curricular activities can make it appear that you are more concerned with your avocation than your vocation. I was on a hiring committee for three of those seven years.

Here's how you should structure your resume:
    Take the advice -- GENERALLY - of what everyone here is telling you.

However, you can really make an impact if you COMBINE achievements, activities, etc. according to THEMES rather than events.

EX: you were in Young Business club, volunteered at Boys/Girls club, won a grant for helping underpriviledged youth train for business, and you also worked in a paralegal office after classes.

Those would be 4 lines, at least.

Combine them thematically:
    "Trained in hands-on management techniques at various extracurricular opportunities, including Boys/Girls volunteering, Young Business club, underpriviledged youth business mentoring, and paralegal office work."

The trick is to write it as *narrative* and not in bullets. Also, your side heading ("Sept. 04-May 06) can generalize the dates, rather than itemize them.

What you're telling the employer is what you CARE about, what you DO, and not necessarily what you *did*. It's downplaying the EVENTS, but playing up the VALUES.

Good luck.

(My experience: executive chef - 4 years, English teacher on hiring committees - 10 years)
    Jobreach Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2012, 03:57 AM
    Hello. I need help reducing my resume from 12 pages to 2-3 pages. . I am an accountant and have more than 13 years experience working as an accountant. I have worked many jobs especially since I have been doing short contract work in the last 3 years. My resume is so long because I have been just adding every jobs duties and achievements as I did them. Now I feel this resume is doing more harm than good to my job search.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need resume help, please! [ 3 Answers ]

All right well this year I'm a senior, and I want to go to school for radiology. But the problem is... im not really sure on how to write a resume. And that's the only thing stopping me from starting my applications. I already have my letters of recommendation... but they need a resume and I don't...

Resume [ 3 Answers ]

How to make an effective resume?

Objectives on a resume [ 0 Answers ]

What should I put for a resume for an attraction that requires me to act so I can be a manager of it... Like I work at a theme park at an attraction right. I am required to act at work and make sure of things at my attraction. I want to be a manger at my attraction.:confused:

How to shorten down rod on ceiling fan. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I want to install a new ceiling fan in my bedroom. The only fan that will work is the Hampton Bay Mix n Match (it's the fan w/o blades because I already have the blades to match the interior design of the room). Unfortunatey, it may drop too far from the ceiling for my preference so I was...

Shorten spray hose [ 2 Answers ]

My spray hose on my kitchen sink is too long and continuously catches on the pipes under the sink. I want to shorten this hose, but have no idea how. Any info is appreciated.

View more questions Search