Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richl Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 08:13 AM
    Creditor obligations
    In the state of California, is a creditor required by law to "make a reasonable effort" to contact the debtor prior to sending the account to collections? Is the creditor required to state that he has done so on the application for collection services? Need the help.

Thanks

Richl
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Hello Richl:

Nope on both.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 25, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Had to re read the question. And excon is correct. A creditor generally will send dunning notices to the last known address of the debtor. That would constitute a reasonable effort to collect. But there is no legal obligation to do so. They also do not have to document their efforts to a collections agency.

However, before a judgement can be entered against the debtor, they would have to make a good faith effort to serve the debtor with a summons and they will have to prove that effort if challenged.
    richl Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 10:44 PM
    excon and Scottgem,

Thanks for the input. I hate the answers, but appreciate the guidance. I answered the complaint, but I don't think I have much of a case. Can really sad eyes and lots of "sirs" buy me anything.

Rich
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 04:26 AM
    Hello again, richl:

Actually, no. Collection agencies are the lowest of the low. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't pay them if you owe the money. Because if they sue you and get a judgment, it's going to be for more money than they want now and with a judgment, they can garnish your wages and attach your bank accounts.

Good straight negotiation with some cash in your pocket is your best defense.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant obligations in New Jersey? [ 3 Answers ]

I am renting a private house in New Jersey. Since the temperature has dropped drastically, the house has been very cold. I told the owner and asked for help. The owner after a few weeks finally came by the house and after a long talk, the owner told us that there was nothing that he could do, but...

Accounting for Obligations Due After 3 Years [ 3 Answers ]

Nowadays, it is common to be able to purchase a Big Screen HDTV And be able to take it home without paying any cash -- instead, one has An obligation to pay in full, let us say $3000 after 3 years. How does the retailer (BestBuy, or BigScreenStore) and the manufacturer (Sony, Samsung) account...

Renter's obligations after 12-mo lease? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Wisconsin. In July 2004 I signed a 12-month lease with all the usual regulations and restrictions. I've now been in this apartment for 25 months. What exactly are the rules after the first 12 months? Do all the same restrictions still apply? If the regulations are the same for the...

View more questions Search