Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dks2114 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 25, 2007, 07:42 AM
    Optimization
    Hello everyone! I came across this problem in my homework and I've been having a lot trouble with it. If anyone could tell me how to solve it or at least where to start that would be amazing.;)

thank you very much!

For a fish swimming at a speed v relative to the water, the energy expenditure per until time is proportional to v^3. It is believed that migrating fish try to minimize the total energy required a fixed distance. If the fish are swimming against a current u (u<v) then the time required to swim a distance L is L / (u-v) and the total energy required to swim the distance is given by:

E(v)= (av^3) ( L/ v-u)

where a is a proportionality constant.

a) Determine the value of v that minimizes E.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 25, 2007, 10:05 AM
    I won't solve this for you, but here's the approach to use:

First, take the derivative of E(v) with respect to v, and find for what value of v the derivative is equal to 0. This value will give either a minimum or a maximum for E(v). To determine which it is, you calculate the second derivative at that point - if the 2nd derivative is a positive value, then the function is "bath tub shaped," and you have a local minimum. If the 2nd derivative is positive, then the function is an inverted bath tub, and you have a local maximum. (Hint - you'll find that for your problem that the first derivative does indeed give a minimum.) Lastly, you should check the boundary values, to ensure that there isn't something funny going on - in this case, what is E(v) for v = u (the min that v can be) and for v = infinity, and how do they compare to the value of the local min you found above?

All this assumes you now how to take first and second derivatives - post back if you have questions about that. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Optimization (Differential?) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am working on an assignment for University and I don't seem to be getting anywhere. The question states that a company charges 200$ for each order of 150 or fewer shares. The cost to the buyer on every share is reduced by 1$ for each order in excess of 150. For what size order is the...

Optimization,what is it? [ 15 Answers ]

What Are You Doing When You Optimize Your Computer, I Do It As Per Instructions, But I Have No Idea What I'm Doing Or How & Why It Is Helping My Compuer!! Thank You To All Who Reply & Explain

Precalculus - optimization [ 1 Answers ]

A cylindrical container costs $2.00 per square foot for the sides and $3.00 a square foot for the top and bottom. The container must hold 100 cubic feet of material. What are the dimensions of the most economical container.

Team size optimization [ 2 Answers ]

What is the optimum size of teams to be employed during water-fall life-cycle stages. Please advise for any aretical , web-site link or other source of material related to the above topic.any opinion will be very much appreciated.

View more questions Search