Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pamaryc Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2005, 09:50 AM
    1995 Honda Civic CX overheating
    We are having trouble with my daughter's car. It overheats in traffic but does not seem to on highway. We have checked the radiator level and filled it but after a short while it needs refilling but we cannot find a leak anywhere. We thought she might have blown the headgasket when it first overheated but the car does not blow white,smelly cloud nor is the oil milky. It also sort of surges when idling.
    Any ideas anyone?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2005, 11:44 AM
    Well, the summer time tells all on a radiator, if you have to refill the radiator every time or so, it may have a slight crack, or one of the hoses is leaking. To make sure, after you drive it and park it, sometimes you can even smell leaking antifreeze, or put a big piece of cardboard under where the radiator is, and come back later and look to see if its leaking. Also they will be hotter in traffic, then highway, but if it has a temp gauge, goes up to a certain point, and pops back down, the thermostat is doing its job. If it doesn't it isn't.

Jul 27, 2005, 04:22 PM
    Thanks so much for your quick response. My hubby checked the spark plugs and found that 3 were good but one was wet so figured that it must after all be a head gasket. Oh joy! :eek:
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2005, 08:27 PM
    Well, if it is... real joy indees. :(
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jul 28, 2005, 02:29 AM
    Your husband might find this link interesting if he plans on replacing the head gasket by himself. The information is specific for 1996-2000 Honda Civic (they're the 6th generation, yours is 5th generation), but it should give you a good insight into what is needed to replace the head gasket on your own.

http://www.jdmuniverse.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32971

Jul 28, 2005, 01:44 PM
    Great site thanks... wasn't a head gasket, the whole darn engine is sick... valves, rings etc! My daughter is going to have to work double shifts to pay for this because it is now out of my husband's comfort zone. Thanks again for all your advice. Much appreciated
    kittymarie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 09:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by pamaryc
    We are having trouble with my daughter's car. It overheats in traffic but does not seem to on highway. We have checked the radiator level and filled it but after a short while it needs refilling but we cannot find a leak anywhere. We thought she might have blown the headgasket when it first overheated but the car does not blow white,smelly cloud nor is the oil milky. It also sort of surges when idling.
    Any ideas anyone?

You may have a problem with your thermostat, the best thing to do is start by chaining your thermostat with a fail safe thermostat it runs about $25 to $40.
    If you still have a problem with the car overheating try changing your (iac) idle air control sensor. If the problem persists you may have a faulty wiring harness or a blown fuse or relay located in the cars main fuse box.
    username123456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 2, 2009, 01:49 AM
    Try checking the hose going from behind intake manifold to the thermostat housing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1995 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Please help guys, let me first say that I don't really know much about cars, just a little. A few weeks ago my engine overheated because of a failed radiator. Me and my dad replaced the radiator, and discovered water was leaking into the engine, it occasionally ran a little rough on start, but...

92 honda civic lx overheating [ 3 Answers ]

My honda civic is overheating and water is bubbling into the overfill tank, and then leaking out. I already replaced radiator and thermostat and there seems to be no pressure from the lower radiator hose to the thermostat. The electric fan fails to come on when temperature is high. Replaced...

1995 Honda Civic Horn [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All: How do I attach the wries to the horn for a 1995 Honda Civic? Which wires go where? TIA Mike

1995 Honda Civic battery problem [ 1 Answers ]

Ok, this shouldn't be too difficult for someone that knows a bit about cars. My door was left open with the seatbelt in it and drained my battery almost fully. My alarm still worked and I had lights but when I went to start it, the starter would just turn over but wouldn't fire. I have a...

Honda 1995 Civic DX loss of water. [ 14 Answers ]

Hello. I have taken my car into the shop numerous times. They have replaced the water pump and the hose to the radiator/engine. They have pressure tested the whole coolant system and cannot find any leaks. However, every time I open my radiator cap, it need lots of water. If I drive for long...

View more questions Search