Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 04:56 AM
    Suicide
    Hello:

I just read about this poor 85 year old lady who has lost control over her own life. What an undignified way to go! I wouldn't want to end it that way - and I'm not going to. I'll decide when it's over.

Tell me why I should end up crapping in my pants. Do you crap your pants?

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 05:09 AM
    No, excon, I have not done that for many a year. I know I do not want to lie there in bed unable to even get up and go to the bathroom without having to wait for someone to come and get me. My former Mother-in-law, who is still in a nursing home, had to wait over an hour before someone came to help her and by then it was too late. They did not even offer her a bath! Her daughter and I happened to come at that time and we took over. What a hellacious way of treating someone!

I agree with you, I feel people deserve dignity in their old age. Whether I could take my own life, I do not know, although I have seriously thought of circumstances that would somehow warrant it.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2007, 06:54 AM
    Hello excon dear. I don't crap my pants. Not yet. Although I must admit that when I read some of your responses I have PMSL at times.

Why should you end up crapping your pants? Well I know you are a smart guy. You need to find a way to coerce a young chickie to marry you so you can find some pleasure in having her change your diapers for you when that time comes. She can give you a little slap and tickle while she changes them. That might be worth it to you to stick around for a while.

^^^^^^^^^
    It is difficult to say what we would do absolutely, when faced with that situation. Most people don't want to suffer that kind of indignity and we think that we would rather take the suicide route. Yet, when it happens, some people either do a total turnaround and cling to life because the fear of death is so great, or they simply don't have any choice but to stick around because they are physically dependent on others.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Jul 25, 2007, 09:12 AM
    It is sad that we humans are not allowed a dignified exit from life that our beloved pets have available to them. I believe that Colorado is the only state with such an option. After Dr. Jack Kevorkian was released after serving 8 years in a Michigan prison, 60 Minutes did a piece on him. He provided relief for a man in the later stages of Lou Gherig's Disease. The entire family of the "victim" supported the actions of Dr. K, but were not allowed to testify at his trial. Dr. K is a hero in my book. It is time for more states to pass sane laws which would provide something other than a 45 to end the suffering of a terminal patient in pain.

Jul 25, 2007, 06:13 PM
    excon: My error; it is Oregon, and from sunny Phoenix the trip would be more arduous, especially if one were ill (knock on wood). The only firearm that I own is a good bolt action 22 target rifle that is in pieces redy to be cleaned, and no bullets. Perhaps I could have my Yorkie dog and his two cats attack me, should the need arise. Why did you bring up this rather depressing topic? Life is pretty damn good while it lasts.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Hello again, Dr:

I don't know. I just read about the 85 year old lady... I'm 64 and considering my own mortality. I'm healthy, but I've outlived my dad by 15 years already. I don't know if that means anything, but I think it does to a son.

I actually don't think it's depressing. I've lived a good life and that's going to be celebrated, not my passing. I'm going to get my affairs in order and have a party. I'll say my goodbyes, dedicate my stone, and take some pills. I'm not brave enough to shoot myself. Don't worry, I have no immediate plans..

In this morning's paper there was an article about a murder suicide. It was an 85 year old mother and her 60 year old daughter. They were found parked in a local cemetery, the car packed with personal belongings. I'm sure there's more to the story.

You know, in this country, it takes a great deal of wealth to avoid a nursing home... I'm not in bad shape, but I don't have near enough.

excon
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jul 25, 2007, 07:02 PM
    I'm going to roll myself up in a carpet and get thrown of off that bridge when I come to it excon! :)

Jul 25, 2007, 07:41 PM
    As long as we are on this moribund topic, let's go for it. I consider graveyards to be a waste of pefectly good real estate, not considering the "obligation" of far flung next of kin to care for the gravesite. Some years ago I prepaid for a "deluxe" crispy critter plan with the Neptune Society, for about $1700. With that plan, they will find me wherever I drop and turn me to ashes, without the added expense of a funeral home etc. I have instructed my son to spend the savings on a good party with plenty of beer for the guests. At the party, he is to play JS Bach Italian Concerto BWV971 III Presto from Bachbusters (which I call Happy Feet) and Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. Those selections should provide the proper mix of levity and seriousness to the occasion. LOL
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2007, 08:04 PM
    Some years ago, I (just for fun) planned my funeral with a grief counselor who worked at my shirt-tale cousin's funeral home. I was thrifty. I was careful to want only the very basics. No prayer cards, no imprinted thank-you notes, no flower car. My final bill was close to $10,000. (Well, OK, it was a really nice casket... )

Then and there, I decided on cremation--with my ashes flung to the winds in Monument Valley and maybe a linden tree planted in my memory somewhere. Oh, yeah. And I'm leaving my survivors more than enough for a lovely dinner at a nice restaurant. Maybe they'll remember me with a smile and a nod--"She was quite a lady!"

First I have to die. Many of my family members have died at night in their sleep, during naps, between sentences after a nice dinner and dessert. I suspect that will be the way I leave this earth. At least that's what I'm hoping. Otherwise, find me and shoot me if you see I've crapped my pants.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 25, 2007, 08:09 PM
    This is all so fresh on my mind, give me a few minutes to really think of the right way to answer it.
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jul 26, 2007, 04:17 AM
    Cremation is definitely the way to go, I don't want to put into a hole and left to rot, I find the idea of reing remembered that way to be sort of offensive... and I always like the smell of fire and the warmth of flame :)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 04:28 AM
    Talking about crapping your pants? You leave me no choice but to post this:
    OOPS I Crapped My Pants Video

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On suicide [ 3 Answers ]

Is it normal to from time to time think about death or suicide? With all the problems the world have, do people think and say" is not worth it, might as well get it over with"? I mean we all have our ups and downs

Suicide?! [ 5 Answers ]

I'm so depressed and I feel like no one will be able to help me. :( I so badly want to end my life but I don't know if I will end up killing myself or not. I AM SO CONFUSED!! :confused: Will I really end up actually killing myself or will I pull through?

Suicide [ 26 Answers ]

I know that this probably is not the correct fourm for this, but I know that it is a highly answered forum so I hope you don't mind me posting my question here, but I am in desperate need of advice. My friend tried to commit suicide on Thursday night last, she was my best friend for a few years...

Suicide [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, we are a group of students currently working on an important project, on suicide inducing lyrics. Our stand is that the suicide victims were already in a state of mental/emotional instability, and their death was not directly influenced by the lyrics. Would you be able to offer any...

Historical Teen Girls Movie- Suicide or Suicide Attempt? [ 1 Answers ]

I remember watching a movie as a teen- about 10-15 years ago on Showtime or HBO. I think it took place around WWII, with a teenage girl that befriends a new girl at their school, which I think was an all-girls school. The girls meet with other girls (friends) from the school in the woods behind the...

View more questions Search