Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bralenski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 08:44 PM
    Old debt haunting me, buying first home.
    I made an idiot mistake and trusted my ex-boyfriend to pay on my credit card for charges he made. I never second-guessed him or even opened the statements when they showed up at our house. Well, needless to say- he was never paying on the charges. Fast forward five or six years to me buying my own house. This credit card went to collections, it was through Providian for about $3600 in 2002. They wrote it off and coded it as a charge-off on my credit and sold the debt to Palisades. Palisades has been attempting to collect, but I think finally gave up. They appear on my credit report, also, and currently say I owe $4700 (by the way, needs to be paid in full before I can close on my house and get the title in my name). During almost all of 2006, Palisades hired a law firm to help them collect, which they DID by garnishing my wages. I'm almost certain that the law firm collected every penny from me, not only because it hurt my paystubs but they also stopped garnishing after a few months. So, my question is: where did that money go? If I paid (via garnishment), why do I still have derogatory information on my credit report, especially with Palisades? I am being hit double duty it feels. Any advice?:confused:
    modular01 Posts: 129, Reputation: 36

Jul 24, 2007, 08:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bralenski
    I made an idiot mistake and trusted my ex-boyfriend to pay on my credit card for charges he made. I never second-guessed him or even opened the statements when they showed up at our house. Well, needless to say- he was never paying on the charges. Fast forward five or six years to me buying my own house. This credit card went to collections, it was through Providian for about $3600 in 2002. They wrote it off and coded it as a charge-off on my credit and sold the debt to Palisades. Palisades has been attempting to collect, but I think finally gave up. They appear on my credit report, also, and currently say I owe $4700 (by the way, needs to be paid in full before I can close on my house and get the title in my name). During almost all of 2006, Palisades hired a law firm to help them collect, which they DID by garnishing my wages. I'm almost certain that the law firm collected every penny from me, not only because it hurt my paystubs but they also stopped garnishing after a few months. So, my question is: where did that money go? If I paid (via garnishment), why do I still have derogatory information on my credit report, especially with Palisades? I am being hit double duty it feels. Any advice?:confused:
    Dispute what is on your credit report. The company has a certain amount of time to reply before it's removed (from what I understand)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying A Home [ 3 Answers ]

My husband and I were going to buy a home we did all the paper work and we had applied for a loan for the purchase of this home the closing was also set but the loan wasn't finished going through the process due to us not being able to able to get some paperwork that the loan officer needed, so we...

Getting out of lease when buying home [ 3 Answers ]

Someone told me that if you purchase a house in the state of Maryland that legally, the landlord has to let you out of your lease. Now of course this seems too good to be true. I have the opportunity to purchase my mothers house in a few months and am trying to do my homework well before hand. ...

First time buying a home [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother looking to buy my first home any ideas on where to start?

Buying an out of state home [ 1 Answers ]

I will be relocating to NC from VA for my job. I am planning to purchase my first home there. My daughter will need to be there before my relocation. Will it be possible for me to purchase this home while I am still living in VA? I also have a ch. 7 bankruptcy that will be a year old at the...

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

View more questions Search