Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jtam Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 06:39 PM
    Washer s-trap?
    I'm roughing in my washer with 2" pvc and want to place the p-trap within the wall. I don't need a vent because I'm circuit venting through a bathroom group. Does the fact that the trap arm (4") is greater than 2 times the pipe dia (2") not make this a s-trap? Is it just habit that most plumbers use a vent here anyway?
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 24, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jtam
    I'm roughing in my washer with 2" pvc and want to place the p-trap within the wall. I don't need a vent because I'm circuit venting through a bathroom group. Does the fact that the trap arm (4") is greater than 2 times the pipe dia (2") not make this a s-trap? Is it just habit that most plumbers use a vent here anyway?
    I'm not a plumber, and therefore not terribly familiar with codes, but I don't think you can put the p-trap within the wall... it has to be "accessible" at least, I think.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 25, 2007, 09:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jtam
    You may place the washer trap in the wall but if your trap will end up looking like this it is illegal,(see image). Good luck, Tom
    jtam Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2007, 01:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1
    You may place the washer trap in the wall but if your trap will end up looking like this it is illegal,(see image). Good luck, Tom
    Thanks Tom... your images really help. You must have a hard drive just full of these cause you always seem to reply with just the right one! Jim
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 26, 2007, 05:54 PM
    You must have a hard drive just full of these cause you always seem to reply with just the right one! Jim

Hey Jim,
    When I left AskMe.com they gave me a choice of retrieving all my posts in rough format. It took me two months of sorting and editing to make them into a data base that I could use on this site. I also have a extensive data base of images that I can draw on. Thanks for the interest. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace P-trap with drum trap--good idea? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a large crack in a cast iron waste line. The line at that point serves just the kitchen sink and is vented to the roof. The first plumber I called wants to disconnect the P-trap, install a drum trap, drill through the cabinet and floor, and connect to the waste line down below the crack....

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Trap on a washer drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to install a trap on the washer drain pipe that is connected to the main sewer line. The washer drain runs down 2 feet and across 3 feet. Will the trap work correctly if it does not have a tight seal where the drain hose meets the drain pipe. Will I have a problem with water backing up...

Trap for washer drain [ 1 Answers ]

We have a bad smell behind our washer. After much research, I am beginning to think that it is coming from the washer drain pipe. Is it possible that it is sewer gas coming back up through the pipe? Do washer drain pipes have traps? We live on a slab. We have the wall ripped out behind the washer...

Do washer drain pipes need a sewer trap? [ 1 Answers ]

My hubby has moved our washer and dryer and it works - mostly. We have some soapy foam coming out of the top of the drain pipe. He raised the pipe and we have less, but still some soapy foam. I wish I had checked your forum earlier as I've learned that washers drain with a lot of pressure. ...

View more questions Search