Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    waynegustafson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 06:07 PM
    Updating 100 Amp Service
    I am updating a 100amp service in an old house. The meter is located on the pole. The house currently has a non weather proof main panel on the exterior of the house and another remote panel in the middle of the basement. The exterior panel is very unsafe and badly corroded.

I intend to mount a 100amp exterior weather proof disconnect on the outside where the main panel is now and a new 100amp main panel in the basement where the remote panel is now.

The main panel will be about 20 feet from the service entrance. My interpretation of the NEC would be that I should run the ground rod connections to the exterior disconnect and bond the neutral to ground in that box. I should then run 4-wire to the main panel and keep the neutral isolated in the main panel.

Any opinions ?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 06:24 PM
    That's right, they are separate from there on. You don't want your ground carrying current.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Running two 100 amp main panels from a 200 amp service [ 27 Answers ]

Greetings! I live in a rural country area. The electric company will be installing a pole, meter, and 200amp service with disconnect at pole. (It will require 50 foot run of service cable from pole to main load center in mobile). Currently the double wide has a General Electric 100amp Main...

100 Amp Service conversion [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a mobilehome with 50 amps service. The park said I could upgrade to 100 amp service. Please tell me what I need, panel, breakers etc. Thank you

Using 100 amp panel on 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

I am building new camp at a site that already has 200 amp service. My power requirements are small and 100 amp will be more than sufficient. Is there any reason I cannot hookup a 100 amp panel to the 200 amp meter socket? Not sure is code allows this. I want to use a small 100 amp panel vs the...

100 amp service vs. 200 amp service [ 5 Answers ]

The house I just bought was built in 1952. It's a 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom with the standard screw in fuses (total amps unknown). Presently I'm doing a remodel. Adding a third bedroom & extra bathroom, washer & dryer, dishwasher, newer & larger refrigerator, bigger microwwave, probably 3 window air...

100 amp service [ 6 Answers ]

I want to add some circuits to my 100 amp panel on my home. How do I calculate whether I have any room for additional load? I have a subpanel in the studio which is set from a 60 amp breaker on the main panel... Standard size home 2000 sq ft--part of the home has a studio apt. 3 fridges 2...

View more questions Search