Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Jul 24, 2007, 05:58 PM
    Uninformed Members?
    Question erased due to being perceived as an attack.
    Apologies.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 06:02 PM
    For the same reason methodist or baptist belong to the KKK, or to a black power group. Or perhaps why there is a gay baptist church in Atlanta although it is completely against baptist teachings.

The Church does not control peoples minds and what they want.

I would hope you MEAN, why do catholic, baptist, methodist Lutheran and other Christians believe these things?? I am sure you are not attacking one faith for something they don't teach
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I am not a current member of the Catholic faith, not since I turned 30 (so that makes 25 years being non Catholic) but I never heard that this burning at the stake and persecution was justified. As far as being informed as to Church viewpoints and position, well, we had to rely on our Monsignor or parish priest or the nun who taught in our school to inform us.

Whatever members currently justify the persecution and death of non believers are doing so in error. The late Pope made public statements asking for forgiveness to those people who were persecuted and died. Most Catholics I know (including extensive family members) do not hold to the viewpoint that all the grievous acts were justified. I must know different people than you do.
    -

Jul 24, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    For the same reason methodist or baptist belong to the KKK, or to a black power group. Or perhaps why there is a gay baptist church in Atlanta although it is completely against baptist teachings.

The Church does not control peoples minds and what they want.

I would hope you MEAN, why do catholic, baptist, methodist Lutheran and other Christians belive these things????? I am sure you are not attacking one faith for something they dont teach

It was not intended as an attack.
    -

Jul 24, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    I am not a current member of the Catholic faith, not since I turned 30 (so that makes 25 years being non Catholic) but I never heard that this burning at the stake and persecution was justified. As far as being informed as to Church viewpoints and position, well, we had to rely on our Monsignor or parish priest or the nun who taught in our school to inform us.

Whatever members currently justify the persecution and death of non believers are doing so in error. The late Pope made public statements asking for forgiveness to those people who were persecuted and died. Most Catholics I know (including extensive family members) do not hold to the viewpoint that all the grievous acts were justified. I must know different people than you do.

I ask because I just came across the justifications I mention in the Whycliff thread.
    I am not saying that ALL or even MOST Catholic members feel the same way. Perhaps I should try to delete the question since it is coming across as an attack on the CC and that wasn't my intention.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:12 PM
    It does come across as an attack. About the Wycliffe post - yes the Church called Wycliffe a heretic but they also condemned Joan of Arc. Was not right, but it happened. The Catholic is not innocent from their past but I don't think there was or is a Church who can stand and throw the first stone.
    -

Jul 24, 2007, 07:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    It does come across as an attack. About the Wycliffe post - yes the Church called Wycliffe a heretic but they also condemned Joan of Arc. Was not right, but it happened. The Catholic is not innocent from their past but I don't think there was or is a Church who can stand and throw the first stone.
    I wasn't attempting to cast stones. The question has been erased in order to prevent any further controversy about its purpose.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

For our international members.what is your take on the following. [ 24 Answers ]

I read an interesting article on the net this morning and since I know that there are international members here, I was curious if any of you agree with it. The quote from the article that struck me is as follows: "In America, a lapse in monogamy ruins marriages, bankrupts couples, and...

Welcome Wondir Members [ 4 Answers ]

We, like wondir.com, are here to help people - and we hope you'll check us out. For starters, check out the Subjects List and click on your favorite category to see the latest questions and answers there. You'll see we have some excellent folk here. We are quite serious about being the best...

Hello Members ! [ 5 Answers ]

I am new to the site and am I looking for suse users. I am trying to install but I am not gettting anywhere. I need help. I put in the drive and opens the folder. Any help David

For ACLU members [ 10 Answers ]

I want to gather information on what you as ACLU members think the ACLU actually stands for. Please answer without doing research because hopefully you already have as an ACLU member.

View more questions Search