Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2005, 07:29 PM
    Moron with a mower that idles
    Just inherited a Briggs mower that revs, then almost dies, revs, then almost dies. Then, as it was running out of gas, it ran hard like it should until it emptied. Did this twice. Air filter OK. Is this a carb issue? Any help greatly appreciated. In the last three months I've had a broken drill, garage door torsion spring, humidifier, glasses, other mower, sprayer, and many things I'm sure I've forgotten, so any help on how to keep from going to another repair shop would be greatly appreciated.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2005, 07:54 PM
    OK, what hp, 3.5, 4.0,4.5, 5.0... what... is it a quantum, classic or what. OK now does it run good for a while and rev up and down, or go up and down, up and down continuously, well, if it is a quantum with a fixed engine speed, or not. The governor shaft could be sucking air, requiring someone with experience to fix, or it could be the governor spring is worn out, and needs replacement. And you say it runs good until just before it runs out? Well for one thing, make sure the filter, if it hasn't been replaced for a couple years, to replace it, one of those tune up kits would have it all, filter, oil and plug. Or buy them separate. Now if it runs great, not running over what its top rpm limit was set, before it runs out, well, yeah carb may have some crud in it, stopping up a hole.
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2005, 10:26 PM
    I knew someone would make me get my flashlight and go out to the shed.

3.5 classic. 11A-020B000

No it does the opposite. I start it and in under a minute it revs and drops, revs and drops. I took off the air filter compartment and applied pressure to the springs and got a higher rev, but still cycled between high throttle and again dropped. There are only 2 springs... I'm not the original owner and no manual so I can't tell you if its missing a spring. As for if one is worn I don't know.

Then I noticed that in the last "minute of gas" it runs strong. As it should.

Last time I mowed with it it had done this reving/dropping thing after several starts. Then suddenly it purred like a content woman. Mowed everything with no problem.

Yesterday back to the cycling thing. Was the neighbors mower and it did the same cycling thing for him until he gave up and gave it to me.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2005, 11:35 AM
    3.5, that's a great easy one to fix, OK, one thing to do with them, they have a pulsajet carb, and the diaprahms are simple, and very cheap to replace, and also make sure the tank is clean, and the pickup tubes at the bottom the mesh screen is clean. Then move on to the springs, then again this engine uses a windvane governor, make sure the flap (windvane) moves freely, and that the springs there, should be one spring on older ones, newer ones use 2. which then again, those springs are very very cheap to replace if they are even worn out any at all. That goes through basically all things that could go wrong with thos classics, besides the coil, or an air leak. But it runs great at last, so it shows none of those right now. Though I'd suspect the carb right now, the newer ones use a plastic carb, but are very cheap to work on. It may have gotten some trash in the tank, and since these can't have a fuel filter, the fuel pickups use a mesh screen to filter the big stuff, and can get clogged. Oh and make sure you have some carb cleaner and blow out all holes. You can leave some gas in the tank, slosh it out, and dump it somewhere safe if you can, to remove any trash in there.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2005, 11:55 AM
    Thanks for the help. We'll see what happens this weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too much oil in the mower-Please help anyone [ 7 Answers ]

I got my push mower out for the season and did the regular tune up - It was running great for the first mow. I checked the oil and subsequently ended putting too much oil in the mower and tried to start it for the second mow - I can not get it started - I have drained the excess oil, cleaned out...

Mtd mower won't mow [ 1 Answers ]

The lever that engages the mower blades on my mtd riding mower has started to go to far toward the steering wheel so the belts engage at the 1/2 way mark but then disengage because its gone too far. How do I fix this? Thank you

Am I the only moron... [ 10 Answers ]

Mostly a rhetorical question... but after several months of use and posting I just realized today that the ads at the top of the pages are often cued to the posting topic. Nice little touch. I just never paid attention. This is one of those moments when my wife says "you're pretty"

Mower trouble [ 3 Answers ]

I have a masport Tecumseh mower model number TVS90 43754P.It starts but revs up and down then conks out I've changed the paper filter and empted the fuel tank and put clean unleaded fuel back in any information on what would make it to do this would be great :confused:

View more questions Search