Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    artistall Posts: 88, Reputation: 5

Jul 26, 2005, 12:49 PM
    Seat Cut Rafters
    I'm building a garage and want to use 2 x 6 rafters gable roof. How do I figure the length of the rafters and the angle of the plum and seat cut? I'm just pouring the slab. Then I'll build the walls and then the rafters, decking and composition roof.
    The span will be 20 feet and the rise I guess around four feet.
    I know I'm on the right track but can't remember how it goes
    Oh and a one foot overhang!
    and maybe an ingrown toenail!
    lol
    Thanks!
    atremo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2005, 03:05 PM
    Question
    Did you ever get your answer
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 20, 2005, 04:17 PM
    If he did, no thanks to me. I must have missed it. If anybody else happens by: Many of your squares have tables on them to figure that, or you could use basic geometry. Easiest thing might be to use a chalk line and lay it out on the floor, and measure.

Usually I let questions over a week old go, but since you asked, I answered.
    Dennis Lutz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artistall
    I'm building a garage and want to use 2 x 6 rafters gable roof. How do I figure the length of the rafters and the angle of the plum and seat cut? I'm just pouring the slab. Then I'll build the walls and then the rafters, decking and composition roof.
    lol
    Thanks!
    Dennis Lutz
    acurren Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2009, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artistall View Post
    lol
    Thanks!
    To make the cuts use a simple speed square and mark the board on a 4 common for the top cut. For the seat cut mark the top cut then put the base of the square along your mark so you can mark a 90 degree line for the cut to sit on the wall.

You should be shooting for a 5/12 pitch. To find the length of any rafter use a framing square, that's the big one, and find the LENGTH COMMON RAFTER PER FOOT RUN scale on one side. Follow the column down the square until you find your desired roof pitch. It will give you the multiplier.

Example: 20' span half that, 10' run, 5/12 pitch, multiplier is 13. So it's 10X13=130 inches for the common rafter. Convert to feet and inches= 10' 10" If you use a ridge allow for it in your run measurement etc...

If you need more help contact me through my website contact form at BUILDINGS OKLAHOMA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are Interstate truck drivers federally mandated to wear seat belts? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is the correct site to ask this Question, if it is here goes, if not please direct me to One who could answer this. Are truck drivers who travel interstate federally mandated To wear seat belts while driving their trucks? Is there a weight clause with...

Cutting rafters for a playhouse [ 3 Answers ]

I need to know how to cut rafters for a plalyhouse that is 66 inches wide. I want a pitch of 8/12. I need to know how far back to cut the seat cut. Thank you.

Cutting rafters [ 5 Answers ]

How do I figure out the length and seat cut of rafters if my building is 8ft. Wide with a 6/12 pitch

Leaking tiled shower seat [ 8 Answers ]

A month ago, there was a leak from my second floor tiled shower into the first floor dining room. I had a tile guy come out. He thought it was the tile on the shower seat causing this. He replaced the tile. However, now it is no longer leaking into the first floor ceiling, but the water leaks down...

View more questions Search