Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ronrox Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 08:08 AM
    20 hp briggs hard to start
    I have a 2000 murray rider with a 20 hp, when trying to start it turns over really slow, I've replaced the battery and starter. I have had it started 1 time and ran good, drove it around for abot 15 min but when I shut it off still hard to start, was told it could be a bad compression release or the valves needed to be adjusted, what is your take on this? Any help?
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Jul 24, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Adjust the valves, very rare for a compression release to fail. Compression release is very dependent on valve clearence.

Don
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 11:54 AM
    Absolutely adjust the valves first. And a lot of folks don't want to replace the rocker arm cover gasket(valve cover gasket), but for about $3.00, you don't have to tear it back off and put a new one on later. Place old towels under valve cover to catch a small amount of oil when you remove the cover.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Ohh , and you probably had a good starter and battery, retain the old starter for future use.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Briggs & Stratton 17.5HP hard to start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Troy Built Pony riding lawn tracotr with a 17.5HP B&S OHV engine with electric start. Most of the time when I go to start it the engine tries to turn over but seizes. When I remove the spark plug the engine turns over easily. When I replace the plug sometimes it starts and sometimes it...

Briggs 14.5 OHV won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I have a Briggs 14.5hp riding lawn mower that when you try to start the flywheel won't turn or will make a slow turn and pause then another slow turn and stop. I cleaned the ground cables, replaced the battery, carb, and spark plug. Trying to jump across the solenoid doesn't work either so its not...

14.5 Briggs won't start [ 1 Answers ]

The engine ran fine last season and haven't tried to start it since but had to replace flywheel and starter gear to start this year. After replacing the gears and installing a new spark plug and charging the battery the engine spins freely and backfires but doesn't start. I don't know much about...

18.5 Briggs Hard To Start. [ 1 Answers ]

A B&s 18.5 Ohv With Avs. Won't Go Past Com. Stroke When Starting. Checked Batt. Anj. Valves. Same Thing Wrong. Can Turn Back By Hand And Start. Don't Know Where To Look Now. Maybe Something In The Avs?

Briggs 16.5 won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a B/S 16.5 OHV Twin (Commercial model). Generally speaking it starts as soon as I hit the key. Today when shutting it down it backfired twice (two different occasions) but started normally. When I went to start it to put it in the shed no luck. Doesn't sputter or backfire. Changed the...

View more questions Search