Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    carlaacantu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet
    I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 10:36 AM
    New construction and remodel is supposed to be 4 wire.
    Red and Black are hots, an go to hots on dryer. The difference between 3 and 4 wire is separating Neutral from Ground, White is Neutral(carries current) and green is ground(carries no current) Keeps Dryer from becoming live.
    To put back to 3 wire, you will have to replace the strap, which ties Neutral and ground to case.
    Can you Install 4 wire receptacle instead?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Convert 4 prong dryer plug to 3 [ 2 Answers ]

My wall outlet is a 4 prong I have a pigtail to change my Sears dryer to a 3 prong but not sure how to properly wire it the 4 plug is red, white, black and green the replacent not color coded

Changing a 4 prong to 3 prong [ 2 Answers ]

I recently moved and my dryer is a 4 prong and I need to change it to a 3 prong. I am not sure which wires go where. I had a black, white,red and green. Do I take the green ground wire and attach it to the white neutral? My new wires all all neutrasl with the middle being the white.

What is the difference in a 2 prong or a 3 prong condenser motor capacitor? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, 1996 Rheem AC (SEER 12) condenser fan moter replaced. (A.O. Smith 1/8 HP 825 rpm. 208-230 volt.) My old capacitor has 3 prongs, black, black and white. The white one has an orange wire that goes to the compressor. The new capacitor has 2 prongs, black and black. Where do I...

4 prong plug for dryer - new dryer installation [ 3 Answers ]

We are installing a new dryer with a 220 volt 4 prong plug, old dryer had only 3 prongs How is the house wiring attached to new receptacle? cgfryar

Can I rewire a chandelier with a two-prong plug? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a chandelier that came with a two-prong plug. The store I bought it at told me I can simply cut off the plug, split the wires, strip them and then make the appropriate connections. While this is a reputable store, I am not convinced that this is safe. Please advise.

View more questions Search