Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 24, 2007, 06:25 AM
    Paying a mortgage, holder deceased
    My father quit claimed his home to his father, and minor children (myself and brother) without our knowledge at the time. After his death, my grandfather took us to a lawyer and quit-claim himself, leaving myself and brother on the deed (age 20 & 21). I have been living there ever since, and continued to pay the mortgage monthly for 7 years, never notifying the bank of his death. The taxes and insurance are in my name.

Now, I'm newly married and we'd like to sell the property and move. In 1.5 weeks, my brother is moving across the country, and his name is still on the deed. Will this cause a legal problem when I proceed with a sale?
    Will I encounter any problems from the bank for not disclosing my father's death? I pay an "escrow" with the account, but I'm unsure what that's for.
    I would like to adjust the deed to reflect my new last name; would I contact a lawyer to do this?

I'm really nervous and unsure as to what could happen, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time.
    ~Nicole

(p.s. If it helps, I'm in Michigan)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2007, 06:35 AM
    First the "escrow" is so the bank can pay the taxes and insurance. Many mortgage lenders require that they make the payments to insure the borrower doesn't forget and the property goes ina tax sale or is not protected by insurance.

Second, I think you need to contact a real estate lawyer to untangle this. Theorectically, the transfer of property should not have been done without the bank's approval because of the lien they had on the property. I'm wondering if the quit claim deeds were recorded properly because of that. Though you say the taxes are in your name.

As for your brother's interest, I would suggest that he give you a limited Power of Attorney to act in his behalf with respect to the sale of the property. This way he doesn't have to be involved in the closing.

Another aspect of this is the tax implications of the gift of the home. Because that's what it was. By deeding the property to his father and children, he gave each of you a gift of your share of the property. Your grandfather then gifted his share. So what your tax basis is on the home is going to require a CPA to calculate.
    Survivor

Jul 24, 2007, 08:37 AM
    This is a really stupid question, but:

Is a "Probate & Estate" lawyer the same as a "real estate" lawyer?

Thanks
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Jul 24, 2007, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LearningAsIGo
    This is a really stupid question, but:

Is a "Probate & Estate" lawyer the same as a "real estate" lawyer??

thanks
    They actually are quite different. A Probate lawyer can help you get a Will through Probate and notify the appropriate entities of the deceased, etc. A Probate lawyer won't necessarily know how to get a Title cleared or do an Escrow for the Purchase of a house.

A Real Estate lawyer can help with the Purchase or Sale of a property and get "clear title" through a Quiet Title Action if the Title is "clouded" (For instance, if a relative used to be on Title but improperly was removed or is now deceased.) But, he won't necessarily know the proper procedure for Probating an estate.
    Survivor

Jul 24, 2007, 10:46 AM
    Thank you both, this has been really helpful. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding a mortgage holder [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to go about finding the bank that holds the mortgage for the house next door to me that was abandon? The house is filled with flies and there is an oder from inside. Please let me knowif there is any help! We are in Charlotte, nc.

Mortgage Holder [ 1 Answers ]

How do I find the mortgage holder of a particular property. I have located the county tax assessors ID # of the property.

Paying mortgage in home country [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I moved to US in Aug 2006 on a L1A visa, can you advise: 1. Since I don't meet the substantially presence test, do I need to file in April? Even if I don't need to file in April, can I elect to file in April as NR? 2. I pay mortgage in my country of citizenship, Jamaica, and was...

Primary holder deceased [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's ex-husband died in 2002. (They were divorced at time of death) He had a Providian account that they tried to collect on in 2002. She told them of his death and they tried to make her pay. She told them that she was only an authorized user and she was not paying it. (He gave her a...

2nd Mortgage Holder did not file claim [ 2 Answers ]

Our Chapter 13 was confirmed in November 2005. We have a 1st and 2nd mortgage but our 2nd mortgage holder, Charter One, did not file a claim. So only our 1st mortgage is being paid through the plan. Does Charter One still have a lien since they did not file a claim within the 60 day period? ...

View more questions Search