Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Witchnash Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 02:56 PM
    Novel writing
    I'm 100,000 words into my story and I've got a nagging feeling it's too slow. The story takes place several years after the country was hit by drought and how people are still suffering from its effects. The maincharacter is a seventeen year old girl who was rescued from a lap dancing club and raised by a woman who sheltered her from the world. The main part of the story is about how the girl breaks free and interacts with the people she meets bringing people together.

Its cracking me up! I've been working on it for the best part two years and seem to be getting nowhere. Any help would be gratefully received. :)
    leatherseats Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2005, 06:05 AM
    Do you have local writers club. Many cities do. That might help. Also, I do a great deal of writing for school and have found out that many novel ideas should be reduced to a short story outline to tighten the process. What must be in the story? What can be left out? Butcher the thing until you get it down to 25,000 words. Does it still make sense? Why or why not? Add the clarity, then move on.
    Put on your judges hat and objectively review your work. If you cannot be objective, you will not be bale to sell your work. Good luck
    Witchnash Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2005, 03:41 PM
    Novel writing
    :p A little lat I know but thanks Leatherseats!
    greatinbed Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Nov 17, 2005, 02:29 PM
    Novel writing
    Hey, here's what I think. If you can't get the darn thing rolling, just go crazy with it. Make it completely absurd, make very strange things happen, I know it sounds weird but at least that way you won't be wasting you're time thinking its slow, get it going, just write. Write until you are tired, then re read and I'm sure you'll find something you'll like and want to keep, then revise and edit, fix it to your liking. Sometime writers get stuck and the only way to get out of that is to keep it going. I guess it depends on the type of novel you want to write, comedy, historical? Science fiction, that will really make you think out there, or combine them all. Maybe you'll end up likeing another thing you have written and another story will grow from it. Just keep writing... good luck!
    Katiy Posts: 56, Reputation: -3
    -

Nov 17, 2005, 03:04 PM
    Tom Clancy
    Try listening to Tom Clancy's audiotape "Without Remorse". It has a similar story line, and may be inspirational. I started listening to it, and am fascinated by it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writing an Applet [ 1 Answers ]

Write an applet to show permanent passion between HTML and applet ? Thank you so much for helping me to find out the answers in advance :)

Cd Drive Not Writing [ 4 Answers ]

I have upgraded to nero 7 but when i try to burn a cd the disc ejects and the run aborted.previous nero prg which came with the pc worked ok.the disc is also ejected when i try and write to it using my windows xp software.i can read from my drive so it seems to be working ok. Also how can i tell...

Writing a CD [ 9 Answers ]

About a year ago I wrote a CD with some important data on it, and accidentally forgot to finalize the CD. My hard drive crashed, and had it replaced. However now I want to read the CD but I can't because nothing shows up. I'm sure that there is data there because when I look on the underside of the...

Story Writing [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to start writing about my journey through life, it has been very interesting and I would like to share this in writing about myself. I need some advice as to just where I begin... I was born in East Gippsland Victoria Australia. And I have had an eventful life... Believe me... ...

View more questions Search