Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smem Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 01:00 PM
    Outlets not working
    I just bought a new home and it seems that some of the outlets in our house have stopped working since we've moved in. They are just regular outlets in the living room and also the outside outlets are not working. Is this a problem for a licensed electrician or is there something I can do to fix it?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2005, 03:15 PM
    Your ability to work with screwdrivers,wire, pliers, and a voltage tester will dictate weather you can repair this problem.

The most likely cause for this condition is a loose wire at an outlet. The wires are probably only stuck in the back of each outlet, this method is called whiz wire, or quick wire, and other names to indicate the wires are simply pushed into holes at the terminals. These connections loosen easily. The wire is pressed into spring type metal tabs that are suppose to dig into the copper. The installation trick to using theses connections is to pull back on the wire to be sure there is a connection. Most electricians simply push in and do not insure a good connection.

This method is not for the electrician that does 5 star installations, many of us take the extra time to use the screw terminals on each device.

Go to the last live device of the circuit. And pull out of the box and check each wire to be sure they are all plugged in, tug on each one to see if it will come back out. Check the interior of each outlet bx for any bad or loose splices, just in case some wires are spliced with wirenuts.

If this does not work, all you can do is begin opening each outlet, switch, and light looking for a loose connection of some sort. A basic knowledge of circuitry will help you find the problem faster.

Just to be sure, check any out side outlet for a tripped GFI, unlikely but I have found this a few times.

Before you start this work, only continue if you are sure the devices with no power are only a portion of a complete circuit. You could have a tripped , bad or loose circuit breaker. Checking this will require you to open and check inside the beraker panel. Unless you are very comfortable and knowledgeable working in a panel, I do not recommend going there. Time to call in a pro.

Keep in mind, working this problem will require you to work with lives wires. Again, may be time to call in a pro if you are not able to work with live wires safely.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2005, 04:00 PM
    Before you do anything else, identify the breakers that feed the outlets. Turn the toggle to the completely off position, and then back to the on position. Sometimes a breaker is off, but doesn't look like it.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 27, 2005, 07:47 AM
    Look around & test your Ground Fault Interrupt (GFI) outlets.
    Make sure your breakers are not reset. Turn suspect circuit(s), off - then back ON...

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by smem
    I just bought a new home and it seems that some of the outlets in our house have stopped working since we've moved in. They are just regular outlets in the living room and also the outside outlets are not working. Is this a problem for a licensed electrician or is there something I can do to fix it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor outlets not working. HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Here's my dilemma: I have 3 ooutdoor outlets along the back of my property. As far as I know all have worked up until this morning. There was a terrible storm yesterday where flooding, high wind and long periods of down pours were present; now none of the electrical outlets are working. I...

Basement outlets [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, I wanted to clarify something that was said in another thread but wasn't sure if I should add to that one or start a new one. I have heard that you should place GFI outlets in your basement. TkRussell stated that you do not need them ot is not code for fridges, freezers, washers, sump pumps. I...

GFI outlets [ 6 Answers ]

I have an older home with no GFI outlets. What is involved in installing them, and how many do I need? Thanks, Roca

Outlets not working, idiot needs help [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there, we have a rather new house (3 years) and one day the outlet on our kitchen island stopped working. I checked the other outlets around the kitchen and found out that there was another one that was not working. After asking around I was told to check the following things in this order:...

Outlets not working [ 3 Answers ]

I posted a question a couple months ago about some outlets that aren't working in my house. I have done some further investigating and here is what I know as of now. The outlets that do not work are all on the same circuit - with the exception of one which is outside in the backyard. I have...

View more questions Search