Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shana467 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Non-custodial rights
    I am thinking about moving out of the state of New Jersey. I have joint legal custody. Can I legally move? If so, what reasons are legitimate or do I need a reason? Do I need permission from a court or the custodial parent as the non custodial parent. Second, will I loose my parental rights by moving?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Legally you can move. However, it may jeopardize your current joint legal custody arrangement. Also the onus of arranging and paying for visitation will fall on you as the parent who voluntarily left the state of residence.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 08:36 PM
    s_cianci's answer is not correct... If you do not have court order or written permission you will lose your rights because it will be treaten as KIDNAPPING
    For more information about the law and reasons visit
    http://gv70.files.wordpress.com/2007...relocation.doc
    http://gv70.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/relocation.pdf
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 08:59 PM
    But she's the non-custodial parent and I don't believe she said or implied anything about taking the child with her.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jul 24, 2007, 09:13 PM
    Yes-If she moves alone-no one can force visitation... but if she takes the child/ren/ with her-it will be awful

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal Rights, Moral rights, and rights in general [ 5 Answers ]

Something popped up when I was answering a question the other day. My opinion is that there are laws(legal rights etc) and RIGHTS (moral rights) I though that itd be interesting to discuss. What are your opinions/experiences? Do you believe that the law has the right to determine our rights?

Can custodial parent move out of state [ 1 Answers ]

I have primary custody of my children, their father has seen them only one weekend in the past two months. Can I move out of state, or am I bound to stay in the state I am in?

Move away order for custodial parent [ 2 Answers ]

I'am the custodial parent that lives in California needs to ask for a move away order to move to another state for a job transfer. We have joint custody. How do I go about asking the court for a move away order? How far in advance does this need to be done?

Grandparent Custodial Rights in Georgia and Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

Do Georgia and Virginia have laws stipulating Grandparent Custodial Rights where there appears to be abuse or negligence concerning the grandchildren? If so, how do I go about finding details of what process is involved? I am the father of the grandchildren's father and live in Georgia; the...

View more questions Search