Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Billiewing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 03:46 PM
    Computer keeps rebooting
    I gave my old Pentium 3, cpu 730, ram 640, to my neighbours boy, apparently he has loaded hardware on that caused a conflict, I am doing a full install of XP PRO, I had XP PRO on this computer for 4 years, no problems, the XP CD loads the files etc and formats the hard drive, says it is going to reboot, which it does, but then goes through the whole precedure again, loading the same files, leaving the XP CD out of drive, the computer boots up with the cmos readouts, does not get to the Windows symbol, then reboots.

Have taken the 3 sticks of ram out and checked, also Video card, all OK

Hoping someone can give me an answer. Billiewing
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 03:59 PM
    Couple of days ago read somewhere a Virus? Is out there, and it makes your computer continuiously reboot, Don't know if that is your case. Hopefully more answers are to follow.
    Try System Restore?
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 24, 2007, 07:01 PM
    Boot into the Recovery console using the XP CD. Use the console to check for several hidden files:

Ntldr, boot.ini, ntdetect.com.

Use the "attrib" command to unhide the above files, as follows:

Attrib -h ntldr
    Attrib -h boot.ini
    Attrib -h ntdetect.com

If you get an error, then one of these files are missing, causing the continuous reboot. Copy the file over from the XP CD.

You might also try a repair install.

If the above doesn't work, you can also try the "Fixboot" command.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Computer rebooting for no apparent reason! [ 2 Answers ]

I looked around the forum and found a lot of people have had this problem, but none that matched mine... Anyway,mine started 2 days ago when the first random reboot happened after I opened up a little program to check the cpu core temperature (coretemp.exe). I've been using it for a week and...

My Computer keeps rebooting [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My name is cooljames--I hope to get some answers on a self inflected wound. I unchecked some of my exec start-up files because it took my computer (HP pavilion a446x with Window XP) so long to start up windows. So the joke is on me--the computer gets passed the BIOS start-up, but restarts...

My computer keeps rebooting [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My name is cooljames--I hope to get some answers on a self inflected wound. I unchecked some of my exec start-up files because it took my computer (HP pavilion a446x with Window XP) so long to start up windows. So the joke is on me--the computer gets passed the BIOS start-up, but...

Computer Keeps Rebooting [ 12 Answers ]

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post. I have an eMachines T3265. The computer is rebooting itself shortly after windows starts. I haven't installed any new software or hardware in a month and I have had no problems with the computer before today. I tried starting in last known good...

Computer rebooting during scans [ 4 Answers ]

I have gone though a lot of problems and had to reformat my drive again. I have already installed all of microsofts patches and I am running zone alarm with AVG and ewido. Every time I try to run through a complete scan with ewido it restarts the computer. I ran AVG and everything checked out OK....

View more questions Search