Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjordan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 10:44 AM
    a/c power breaker tripping
    I have dual a/c units to control the upstairs and downstairs of my residence. I have isolated my problem of no cold air to the breaker panel. I need help identifying what the possible reasons may be for the breaker tripping. There are two breakers (one coming directly from the a/c units with a breaker for each of them, they leave that box and go to the main house breaker panel with a single breaker controlling a/c to both units). When the breaker is reset for the unit upstairs on both panels the upstairs unit works properly and cools. When I reset the breaker for the downstairs unit (and the upstairs a/c compresser is running) it immediately trips the breaker on the house main panel AND the breaker for the downstairs unit. Then both condenser units stop working. I can then reset just the upstairs again and it works again. So, the downstairs unit is causing the problem. What can I check for to find the problem of this? I see no signs melting or blackening at the panels.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2005, 03:55 PM
    It is possible the downstairs unit is drawing excess power because it is failing. Best way would be to use a clamp on ammeter to check the power the unit is drawing. If it is higher than the nameplate says, chances are, it is going bad. Otherwise, the breaker, wire size, and nameplate load all need to be rated the same. It is OK to have oversized wire. If the breaker is too small for the load, but the wires are big enough, you can replace the breaker with a bigger one. If the breaker is tripping at less than its rated load, it is bad, and you can replace it with a new one of the same rating.
    kjordan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2005, 06:24 AM
    Found problem..
    I got an electrician to check it out and found the capacitor went bad. The capacitor was causing a short and making the breaker trip. $16 later and it's fixed. :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfci spa panel tripping [ 4 Answers ]

I just installed a spa with 4 wires. The house is old and while the neutral & ground bus bars are separate in the spa panel, they are all on the same bar in the main panel. Do I need to install a ground rod by the spa panel to keep the gfci from tripping? (instead of running the ground back to the...

Window Air Conditioner & Circuit Tripping [ 7 Answers ]

We installed a window air conditioner two days ago. Unit operated fine with no problems up until yesterday when it began tripping the circuit breaker. The unit is 120V and is the only thing plugged into the circuit (We have unplugged every other single item). The tripping of the circuit happens...

Window mount AC tripping circuit breaker [ 4 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a new air conditioner that is on it's own circuit. The breaker is new and rated at 15 amps. The air conditioner is supposed to use 15 amps at peak. I believe the wire to the outlet is rated at 15 amp. The air conditioner has it's own circuit breaker on the plug which has...

Breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have low voltage landscape lighting plugged into an outside outlet. The total watts is about 500 and I am using a 600 watt transformer. The outlet is a GFI outlet and has a dedicated 20 amp breaker. Nothing else is on this breaker. Sometimes the breaker will trip. I have replaced the...

15 amp breaker [ 5 Answers ]

Rewiring my kitchen, I have refrigerator, stove with electronic ignition, exhaust hood, and a microwave, and a duplex plug. Wondering if too much power for 15 amp breaker. Thanks for any info.

View more questions Search