Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nessa_re Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 03:10 PM
    Marriage following graduation from hs
    Im 17 right now but soon to be 18. My boyfriends 18 as well. We live 2 hours from each other and we could not be more in love. We have been talking about getting married for awhile now. We are both set and committed to it and we can't wait to share our lives together. Both of our grandparents got married young and both are very much still in love. That's what we feel that we have found and I guess I'm just wanting a couple of suggestions as to how to deal with all of this. If this is truly what I want. That sort of thing. If any of you have gotten married at a young age id like to hear your stories.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:32 PM
    I got married at 22. I have been married for over 11 years. I don't really regret my choice. I knew when I met my husband that he was the one for me. I met him shortly after I turned 21. I didn't think I should wait around for my life to begin - just because I had gotten to a certain age. Although, I am not the same person as I was then. I have learned so much. Changed so much. Grown so much.

At 18 and fresh out of high school - are you planning to go to college?
    Love is wonderful. It is the stuff in between that isn't so great. Worrying about bills and jobs and money. It can take a toll on a relationship.
    If this is meant to be - it will be. Time is not going to break that down. Waiting until you are, say, old enough to legally have a drink - wouldn't hurt.
    How long have you been together?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:40 PM
    Remember you have the rest of your life to live with this person and if you believe that your marriage will be forever then I'd say have a long engagement. I would wait until you were at least 21. Both of you should go to college and live a little before getting married. Not to say it could not work out but you change a lot from your teens into your 20's. Its better to be sure. However, I do wish you the best in whatever you choose.
    kt1205 Posts: 125, Reputation: 4
    -

Jul 23, 2007, 06:44 PM
    My mom and dad knew each other when they were ages 9 and 11. They got married when my mom was 19 and have been married for 26 years. It is possible to have a good relationship with someone even if you are married young. However it doesn't always work out. My parents argue a lot and don't really seem to get along any more. Sometimes they do though. I'm worried about the same thing. I'm 16 and sometimes is don't get along with my boyfriend. We've been together almost 2 years. And we've talked about getting married in a few years but then things might get worse. Marriage does make things worse for some people. But not always.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:44 PM
    My husband graduated from high school one Friday, we married 8 days later and he shipped off to boot camp 7 days after that.

We celebrated our 21st wedding anniversary last June. Getting married young is not easy. Make sure you have a way to support yourself and know what you want out of life. I would also suggest you wait to have children for a few years and get settled and enjoy being a young couple.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Please tell me you two have more of a plan than just get married? If your really in love, it can wait until you have a foundation, and the means to enjoy each other. After the honeymoon life, and reality sets in, and it ain't no joke. Give yourself a chance to be successful and happy.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 25, 2007, 09:16 AM
    I'll give you two scenarios

1. My brother and sister-in-law- they are exactly my age and got married exactly 2months after graduating High School. They also started a family a year after that. Partly due to their age, she never went beyond high school and he only took a few college classes. He's the only one what works, but doesn't make enough money. Almost every week, they borrow $ for groceries and they are constantly stressed out. They love each other, but their life is hard. (Married 11 years next month)

2. I met my husband when I was 19 (he was 27) and knew I would marry him right away. After 2 weeks of dating, we moved in together and have ever since. We waited to get married because I didn't want to be married that young, and we worked our way through college together. We just got married. Basically, we have none of the problems they have but we've been together 8 years.. Waiting has its merits. My brother and sister in law are always telling us they wish they had waited a little longer.

You have to look into your heart and decide what's best. Since you spend so much time apart already, try living together or closer... things can change when you're dealing with bills, jobs, school, kids, families, pets, homes, taxes, etc... you don't want to rush as young as you are. Take some time and have fun together.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 25, 2007, 09:24 AM
    I found it interesting that, in at the end of all your enthusiasm, you said: "if this is truly what i want".

Ok, maybe you want to comment on that?
    XxRoosterXx Posts: 44, Reputation: 9

Jul 25, 2007, 10:24 AM
    I married my wife 5 days after graduating HS. We have been married 18yrs last June. I think that if both of you are committed to the marriage then it can work. But... Let me tell you that it was soooo hard for my wife and I. We were so dirt poor in the beginning and I was very immature which strained our relationship. Fortunately for me my wife is very forgiving and patient. I personally would recommend going to college first. I think if you don't you may regret it later. This way you have the chance to find yourselves a little bit and give both of you a little easier life in the long run. I went in the military which forced me to grow up and allowed me to get some more education. Good luck to you both.
    Kattalover Posts: 120, Reputation: 20

Jul 25, 2007, 02:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nessa_re
    both of our grandparents got married young and both are very much still in love.
    Just because it worked for your grandparents doesn't mean it'll work for you.

Being in love while you still live at home is easy, but are you both prepared for facing the challenges and responsibilities of moving in together and living away from your families? How are you going to make a living? Who is going to take care of what around the house (shopping, cleaning, laundry, etc. etc.)? How are you going to handle conflicts and stress? And there are many, many more questions.

I highly recommend to not rush into marriage right out of high school. Give yourself and your partner a couple of years. Go and get vocational training, find a job and live on your own for a while, both of you. That way, you'll both know what it means to be a responsible adult and you'll be able to support yourselves when the time comes to throw your lots in together.

Just my 2 cents.
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Jul 27, 2007, 08:59 PM
    My husband and I have been married for almost 10 years. I got married when I was 20 and he was 25. Being married isn't easy and when you first start it can be fun but a lot of bumps in the road. Living with someone is much different than spending the weekend together. I know a lot of people don't agree to live together first but I would highly recommend it and if things run smoothly I would get married. Good luck to you both.
    otto186 Posts: 152, Reputation: 14

Jul 27, 2007, 10:10 PM
    I got married when I was 19, and my wife was 20. I've been married for 3 1/2 years. It is very different going from dating to marriage. You both will have to make a lot of sacrifices.

All I can really say is, marriage has its ups and downs. Its probably one of the hardest things I've had to do in my life besides raise my kids. Just make sure this is what you want and that you'll have no regrets. Good luck.
    nessa_re Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 10:50 AM
    The thing is is that we are both really mature and we have sat down and planned things out. We have both agreed that we will wait to get out of college and get some money set up before we have kids. Both of his sisters got married and had kids by the age of 19. And we don't want the stress of having to deal with feeding a kid and ourselves. We have meticously planned out our futures and we have both said we are going to finish college no matter what. We realize that things aren't always so easy and that we have to work at them. We have been through many obstacles but we have strived to make it work and we are still together through it all. Anyway I want this and I know it can be hard at times but in my mind I'm saying that if I make a mistake, OK then I'll learn from it but I really don't think it's a mistake. Thanks for everyone's input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Examples of a Graduation Speech? [ 14 Answers ]

I would like an example of a graduation speech for grade eight.

What should I get my X for her graduation! [ 21 Answers ]

Hey everyone! Yes I know that it is a while until the 9nth of June but still I would like to get her something really great! Yes I know she isn't my girlfiend and I should just move on... but I still love her and she is moving to a town VERY close to the one I moved to when we broke up. So...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

Graduation invitations [ 5 Answers ]

My son is graduating from high school. Is it proper to send invitations to people who also have a child graduating at the same time?

Marriage before College graduation? [ 20 Answers ]

Hey there-- Here is my issue. I am 20 years old, my boyfriend is 21. We have been dating for 4 years, since high school, and now attend the same college. We'll both graduate in 2008 but have spoken seriously about marriage for 2 years. We're both Christians but have had premarital sex (we...

View more questions Search