Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 08:58 AM
    Beginning runner needs help
    I'm currently trying to train for what's called an Eco Challenge and I'm starting by running mainly. I need to work up quickly to 4miles and I'm struggling at 2 1/2 right now. I need breathing tips also.

Hopeful jogger :eek:
    Gretch Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Dec 6, 2005, 02:05 PM
    SW... If you are training for "The Eco-Challenge", you will need to be able to run more than 4 miles. If this is a type of eco-challenge, then I may be able to help.

Running is a gradual thing and there is no secret to picking up mileage quickly. If yoy push too fast, too soon, you will certainly injure yourself and not be able to run at all. First get a great pair of running shoes (I like Asics) and go out and train hard, but smart. You should not be increasing more than 10% mileage a week... eat normal and drink lots of fluids... I have to say, from experience I find it best not to run every single day. Run every other day but not more than 2 days in a row... there is a great running website that I have used.. it is called [email protected] is called the mad-dog and is great...

Ps let me know if this really is the eco-challenge... a multi-day gruling race.
    Julesiscool Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

May 17, 2012, 07:11 PM
    Well the best thing I can think of is find a place where it is mostly flat or a comfortable place to run and start a slow pace, like of you usually run an 8 minute mile start at 10 or 11 minute mile pace or if need slower, and run that pace and try to get over 2.5 miles. The first time you attempt try for three miles, then wait a day and try to run that again or try for 3 .5 miles wait a Day , either try that same distance again or try 4 miles. Basically wait a day in between trying longer distances and try to increase a half a mile. Running it slow will enable you to run longer wich will potentially show yourself " yes I can run this amount of miles" . Running is mostly a mental sport. Once you know you can do it and have done it a couple of times you will increase your speed. For breathing I personally breath in and out through my mouth and breath kind of hard . But I take it in long And out l don't huff and puff. Day dreaming while running helps this. Some people try in through mouth and out through nose, I find this hard. I run cross country and I seem to do okay with my breathing method. Breathing will eventually comes naturally after you've ran and found a technique. Well good luck and remember running is fun and it's all about enjoying it and best of all running is a natural ability so don't let anyone quote tell you your "running wrong" cause it's what's.natrual to you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In the beginning... [ 108 Answers ]

I direct these questions to Christians, but any may answer. As a preface to your answer please tell me if you are or are not a Christian. FYI, I am a Christian. 1. Do you believe in evolution? 2. Do you believe in the "gap theory?" 3. Do you believe the 6 days of creation were 24 hour...

Road Runner items [ 6 Answers ]

Need help in locating Road Runner items to add to my tiny collection. Anyone know where to find anything for the Road Runner? Have tried a search on the net and not very much out there. Your help would be appreciated. The Road Runner is a cartoon character along with the Coyote who's always trying...

IS it just me or is the beginning the hardest? [ 14 Answers ]

I am just curious, did anyone else here have a really tough time with their husband/wife the first couple of years, because boy, I sure am!:( My husband and I had a baby a yr ago and it has gotten really hard lately. Tonight for example he just took off and took out $150.00 out of our account...

View more questions Search