Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lexefx Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 02:15 PM
    Cold water pressure in my shower greatly reduced.
    Hi

Tom, Glad to hear your getting back to your old self.
    We've been rooting for you!

I have repeadley dismantled and flushed my delta single knob.
    Tom's sugestion from a few year ago. It worked very well until recently.

When the faucet is apart and I plug one of the 2 flow holes, - when I plug cold -hot water rushes out of the opposite hole. When I plug hot there is no increase in the cold pressure, just a trickle.

This bathroom's feeds are @ the end of the main line for the house .
    The other bathroom is before the "affected" bathroom" in line.

The "other bathroom" had flow issues that were initially rectified by dismantle
    And flush. Other bathroom's cold water flow is affected, but not as bad as the last BR in line.

Both sinks and toilets appear to have OK flow from same main, but its harder to tell, than the shower.

What do you think?

Jul 26, 2007, 03:50 PM
    So - I reduced my water heater temp, so this is more bearable. Any ideas on where I should be looking? I am hoping to not have to open the wall, but if you have any idea other than total re-plumb of affected areas, please let me know. In fact let me know if a total re-plumb is needed. Is anyone out there?

A
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 27, 2007, 11:01 AM
    By "flow holes" do you mean the supplies? What type of pipes do you have? Copper? Plastic" or galvanized? I recommend a repipe job only as a last resort. Regards, Tom

Jul 31, 2007, 06:33 AM
    By "flow holes" do you mean the supplies?
    When I remove the knob for adjusting water temperature, there are 2 holes that supply water to the knob section. Before if I plugged one of them the other would rush, now if I plug cold, hot will rush. If I plug hot, cold will only trickle.
    I have copper pipes. Please let me know.

Thanks Tom

A
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 31, 2007, 10:39 AM
    Are you saying that the cold water supply to the valve only trickles when it's open, or is the restriction in the valve body itself? Does your Delta Valve look like this? Regards, Tom

Jul 31, 2007, 04:27 PM
    Thanks for working with me Tom.

Its actually a bit different. It's a single handle ball type Circa 1990. It is pressure balanced, and I have replaced the spool - and even soaked it recently in CLR to make sure it was clean.

There is no tub, so it's the inverted T shape.

When I remove the ball, there is a large threaded ring, once removed I can pull out the diverter. Its pre-ball style divirter. It's a plastic disc that has a few rectangular tangs coming out from the edge.

Once removed I have 2 holes in the valve body, little rubber seals and springs in each hole - witch have also been replaced.

Left hole is hot, right hole is cold.
    If you plug either it makes the opposite hole rush water...

At least when you plug cold it rushes hot, when you plug hot cold still trickles

You had me disasemble this to flush it, witch worked really well for years. Now flushing doesn't seem to make a diffrence.

I searched the web for pictures of my valve kit.. I think its too old. I can photograph any part you'd like to see and post it.

Just let me know.

Aug 2, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Today I removed the cold water supply trim screws from the valve body and flushed from there. Gravel out problem solved. :0)

Mar 15, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Very Interesting follow up.

So my pressure tank for my well failed and flooded my basment. When I ordered a new Champion tank - and had it delivered - it was necessary to move my water heater.

My buddy who delivered the tank and helped me move the WH
    He explained the particles I was getting to clog my hot water only-

Was a water heater breaking down from the inside out.
    Replaced the WH and fixed the clogging issues so far!

Alex
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 15, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Are you all fixed up now or do you still have problems? Regards, Tom

Mar 17, 2008, 08:26 PM
    All fixed up thanks for your help Tom.

A

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Reduced hot water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

First question here, thanks in advance for any responses. Basically, I have lost pressure from all the hot water taps/shower in my house. Boiler seems to be working okay - water is actually hot but initially comes out as usual for half a second when turning taps on, but then slows to a...

Low cold water pressure on shower faucet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Mixet shower faucet (MDXTR-5). In the last several months, the cold side of the faucet has been having a very low water pressure. The hot side has a good pressure. The house is 11 years old, and I've lived there just for a year, so I don't know for sure how old the faucet is. I found...

Low water pressure in bathtub/shower hot or cold [ 7 Answers ]

My shower/bathtub has no water pressure. It does not matter if you turn the cold or the hot water on. The rest of the house is not having any problems with water pressure just this particular bathtub/shower. I tried removing the water spout to see if anything was stopping it up, but it won't...

Low water pressure on cold side of shower faucet [ 3 Answers ]

What should I do (look for) to find out why the cold side of my shower faucet has developed VERY low water pressure, but not the hot side. The sink faucet in that same bathroom is fine on both sides. All other faucets in the house are fine on both sides. I don't have a hot water tank...

Cold water pressure in shower and washer only [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, As the subject says, I have a huge loss of cold water pressure in my upstairs shower and my downstairs washing machine only. The upstairs and downstairs sinks are all fine (including the sink directly next to the shower in the upstairs bathroom). Taking the shower head off doesn't make a...

View more questions Search