Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 11:39 AM
    Health insurance
    Some of you may already know that I've been looking for affordable health insurance for my family.
    I have a few questions.

What are these companies that I'm calling that look up different quotes for you and say that they will be your agent to deal with the insurance company?

Do you have to have one of these agents? What do they do?
    The guy I was talking to, sounded like a very pushy salesman.

The other numbers I called asked for my info and told me an agent would return my call within the week. Is that normal?

And has anyone had personal experience with Mega health insurance?

Thanks
    michealb Posts: 484, Reputation: 129

Jul 23, 2007, 12:42 PM
    I used one few years back but the guy I used was good and managed the plans for many small businesses in the area. They are sales men and get their money by selling you a plan so if you don't trust the guy you need to shop around. They also generally act like your hr department at a company and answer any questions you might have about your insurance.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Thanks Michael

I contacted a different guy who is an independent insurance agent (don't know if that makes a difference).
    He was much nicer and a lot more helpful than the pushy guy.

His quote for the same insurance company was 83$ cheaper than the one the pushy guy gave me.

I wonder if it's normal for different agencies to have such different quotes?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 03:46 PM
    First understand there are 1000's variations of health insurance,
    Depending on deductable, maximum payment of coverages, if they are a real major medical ( there is one company I know that lies about their policy)

I myself broker for about 10 health insurnce companies, about 1/2 I use rate books to find the rates, the other 1/2 I have computer programs.
    I can get a rate for someone in about 10 minutes.

The numbers you call that ask for information is just phone answering companies, they answer calls for this and maybe dozens of other companies, they then send that info to the company who gives it to a agent licensed in your state, who will call you.

In the other cases you talk directly to a licensed agent.

And I can give you a quote that will range several hundred dollars and I can make them all sound like the best policy.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Thanks Chuck

Every place that I've called so far today has told me that United Health Care is the best for my family because the rates are lower and that they are a major medical.
    The best quote so far was $453.00 a month 80/20, $2,500 deductible twice annually,$35 copay,$15 generic,$30 brand.

I'm thinking this is pretty good considering I was getting quoted between $600 - $800 recently when I looked into it. Any thoughts?

I was also thinking about going with a high deductible plan (for emergencies/unexpected illnesses) but I haven't been quoted on any of those yet.
    I didn't even know they existed until I read one of the emails sent to me by an agent. I'll have to ask more questions to him tomorrow.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 23, 2007, 06:42 PM
    We use UHC through our company and have been happy with them.

But I have another suggestion for you. Do you belong to any fraternal organizations, trade groups, etc. You may find you can get a group rate cheaper. Many organizations can get group rates for their members.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    We use UHC through our company and have been happy with them.

But I have another suggestion for you. Do you belong to any fraternal organizations, trade groups, etc.? You may find you can get a group rate cheaper. Many organizations can get group rates for their members.
    Thanks Scott, I'll ask my husband to check into that.
    He belongs to a couple of organizations for small business owners.
    If I'm remembering correctly (this was quite a long time ago) there was some mention about group health insurance,
    But at the time it wasn't something we were interested in so it went in one ear and out the other.
    I'll definitely find out about that today. Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2007, 07:39 AM
    Yep, lots of small biz owner groups offer this. If the group is large enough they can get rates closer to what large companies pay. Its all about spreading the risk.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No health insurance [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend just recently had an accident where his hand went through a glass pane. He ended up tearing three tendons. This required one night of hospital stay and surgery. He then has to go to rehab for it. Unfortunately, he was just cut off his parent's insurance, and so he does not...

We have no health insurance [ 5 Answers ]

My husband has diabetes he is 59 yrs old unemployed as I am presently. Neither one of use have health insurance, I have high blood pressure and we are non-smokers. Is there any health insurance we can buy out there?

No health insurance [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend just recently discovered a lump. He has no insurance and needs to get a biopsy done right away. He cannot afford the costs, is there any way or anyone to help?

Health Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have never bought private medical cover, critical illness insurance, Loss of earnings insurance, etc. I know that there is various advice and Web sites to help you lower your car insurance, but what, If any, facilities exist to help you shop around for these other types of insurance?...

View more questions Search