Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    adamt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Moving from wired to wireless
    I want to move PC upstairs but modem is downstairs what would be recommended at affordable price?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 12:06 PM
    1) Move modem upstairs.

2) Run Ethernet cable Upstairs.

3) Wireless, OK, it will be slower, More vulnerable, But convenient.
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jul 23, 2007, 12:40 PM
    My suggestion would be to get a Wireless-G router, and a wireless adapter (card or USB). You could probably accomplish this for under $100. It can be made fairly secure, and you may not notice any difference in speed with a slower DSL connection. I have no speed issues whatsoever with my wireless laptop.
    Good luck.
    adamt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1970
    My suggestion would be to get a Wireless-G router, and a wireless adapter (card or USB). You could probably accomplish this for under $100. It can be made fairly secure, and you may not notice any difference in speed with a slower DSL connection. I have no speed issues whatsoever with my wireless laptop.
    Good luck.
    I have g router bought it today but hpow does it work cause it got to be connected to the computer.. I don't get it .what do I need to buy?
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 03:48 PM
    I thought you may have a phone line upstairs? Guess not. Doesn't get cheaper than free.
    Just carry Computer and filter, plug into upstair phone. If you wanted to be portable or use more than 1 Computer, Use a Router. If it is just upstairs. Phone line in most rooms
    I see. If You do plan on future growth, and Up to learning, and have a little spare time, Get a router.
    Since you got one, They are convient, I've got one, Wireless N for about 6 months, works great, Against better advice. Still a draft. Not fully accepted.
    Linksys has great learning tools, and they are helpful. What Make and Model?
    Do you have a phone line upstairs?
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 03:53 PM
    Hey, Just stole this from Curlyben, good person.
    4 steps to set up your home wireless network
    Hope it helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

PC use of Verizon Wireless Aircard or Wireless USB Modem [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone have an idea of how to set up a home PC (not a laptop) to use Verizon's Wireless Aircard Broadband PC cards? I'd like to go the cheaper route and get the PC card... and see how it works. My other option is purchasing Verizon's wireless USB modem. Has anyone used one on a home PC? ...

Wired or Wireless? [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently looking into a home security system and have had Adt, Brinks and Protection one out to my house. The question I have is should I go with wired or wireless? And which company? Any help you can give me in this matter would be greatly appreciated..

All wired out! [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Goodman Furnace and central air but can not figure out wiring to the thermostat. furnace = red green white blue ac= black white thermostat= r rc g w y

Windows XP, 2 NICs (1 wired, 1 wireless) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a weird setup of: --------- > > > Wireless > > >------Wired------- But whenever compB is connected to compC compB cannot access the internet. All computers are running Windows xp Pro. Any ideas how I let CompB and CompC access the internet at the same time? Bridging on CompB...

Improperly Wired? [ 7 Answers ]

Wanting my new digital thermostat to run off the 'C' 24 vac common instead of batteries I opened my Thermal Zone (#ah368-1s) electric furnace door panel. I have been unable to find any details online about that specific unit, but there is a wiring diagram inside. The low voltage for the...

View more questions Search