Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 10:29 AM
    MS Word (2002) Template
    I use a Template (.dot file) for apartment leases where I just fill in the blanks (sample file attached if needed).

I have to click on each blank space before typing in it.

I'd love to tab to them instead. Is this possible in Word?

Thanks!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip template.zip (17.9 KB, 84 views)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 23, 2007, 10:31 AM
    You need to protect the non field portions of the template that should allow you to tab to the fillable fields.

This isn't a template. It's a doc with blanks. I would make it a template and insert fillable fields. You can even create a form with prompts and check boxes or combos etc.
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 10:46 AM
    The doc was saved from the template... I forgot that after saving you would not be able to see the fields. Attached is the .dot file.

I protected the form (clicked lock symbol on the Forms Toolbar) but it does not change the fields to tabbable ones. Did you mean a different type of protection?

... and just rooting around, I double clicked a field to check the properties and do not see anything that might control it either.
    Attached Files
  3. File Type: zip Lease Agreement.zip (18.1 KB, 39 views)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 10:58 AM
    How to set the "tab order" of a Word form
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Thanks Need. Holy smoke that looks like a royal pain in the rump. I'm thinking now I'm better off saving as html and replacing the blanks with form fields. I'll try it.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 23, 2007, 11:18 AM
    I'll have to play with this, because I know it can be done. I'll let you know.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2007, 03:46 AM
    That would be wonderful, thanks. The html page is turning out fairly decent... I'd like to compare the two if it's not too complicated in Word.
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2007, 02:09 AM
    The html form is working wonderfully... and I like the additional benefit of being able to use it from
    Multiple locations: Lease

Yes, the text is small, but of course I don't need to read it... and it prints out at the same size as the Word document I was using.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 08:32 AM
    Well, the html is a bust. I figured that if I saved the page with blanks filled in, then the blanks would save too... but that's not the case.. . so I'll try the macros thing to make tabbable blanks out of the textfields in the .dot file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Transferring Word template autotext database [ 4 Answers ]

I just attempted to ask this, and I think it failed. If this is the second posting - sorry, please ignore. If not... On computer A, I created a new Word 2000 template in a new name, LH3.dot. I did this specifically to create a new autotext database, which I will call ATDBLH3. The template...

Template for letter of introduction... [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am sending out letters to introduce myself to potential business partners. Does anyone know where I can get templates without having to purchase anything? Thanks, Laurie

Looking for MS Access 2002 Template [ 3 Answers ]

I finally picked up a copy of MS Access (2002). I'm looking for a Template for a Membership List. There's just one that came with the program - and MS's site doesn't have one for 2002. Googling is getting me nowhere. Anyone know of some template sources that I can look at? Thanks!

Download Free Web Template [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! Where can I download.. professional looking.. Web template for free.. thanks

Microsoft Word Template Underlines [ 1 Answers ]

Word 2003. Creating a template. I want to lock in the underlines so that one can type info on top of the underlines without deleting the underlines or moving the line. How do I do it? Example: The template might have the following lines: Name: _____________________________ Date: ...

View more questions Search