Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ged Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2005, 08:37 PM
    Overflow pipe extension?
    Hi
    I have a gravity fed low pressure hot water cylinder. I have attached a new supply tank to the house further up the hill. It has a 1.1/4 inch pipe running from it, our pressure is much better all over now, but we have the problem of water coming out the top of the hotwater over flow pipe, due know doubt to the height of the supply tank, can I extend the over flow to match supply tank height and if so what is the best way of doing this.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2005, 09:15 PM
    That is exactly what you must do. Depending how hot the over flow pipe gets, you may need to select a hot water resistant pipe. How high will it need to be? I am assuming little water flow in the pipe, just a stand pipe to allow pressure to equalize with the water running out. CPVC would be the cheapest, but I am not sure how high you can run it without support. What ever you select, you need to make a water tight joint and run the pipe up high enough. A compression fitting should be good enough if the old pipe isn't threaded on top.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 25, 2005, 04:48 AM
    Follow
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    That is exactly what you must do. Depending how hot the over flow pipe gets, you may need to select a hot water resistant pipe. How high will it need to be? I am assuming little water flow in the pipe, just a stand pipe to allow pressure to equalize with the water running out. CPVC would be the cheapest, but I am not sure how high you can run it without support. What ever you select, you need to make a water tight joint and run the pipe up high enough. A compression fitting should be good enough if the old pipe isn't threaded on top.

Labmans advice. Now as to how high the standpipe should be?? To ascertain this you're going to have to calculate the differential in heigth from the top of the newly installed supply tank and the top of the low pressure hot water tank and make the stand pipe 8 to 12" over that figure.
    there are several ways you can do this. The most reliable would be to use a "line of sight" or a Lazar transit and shoot from the supply tank. Another would be to use a thin wire running from the top of the supply tank. Stretch the wire as tight as you can. Install a line level about half way between the two tanks and when the bubble reads level measure down to the low pressure hot water tank. Or you can work it,"hit or miss".; Just pop up a stand pipe and if water still overflows add another piece of pipe until it stops. As Labman advised, convert to CPVC for the standpipe. Good luck, Tom

Jul 25, 2005, 04:46 PM
    Overflow pipe extension?
    Thanks for the advice,
    As my tank is a bit beyond hooking a string line up, I will try line of sight.
    So you reckon a compression fitting over cvpc will do it?
    Excuse my ignorance a stand pipe? Is that a pipe welded to a stand and are they available from plumbing stores? Can you just slide them over copper pipe and clamp. I have a feeling this is going to be 2/3m heigh maybe a little more.
    Thanks again
    Ged
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2005, 04:56 PM
    Stand pipe. It is any old pipe allowing water to stand and equalize pressure. If your old pipe is copper, you should be able to buy a CPVC union that will fit it and a length of CPVC. Slide the union over the ends of both pipes and tighten them up, and you are done. For all the longer piece you need to add, copper won't cost much more, and if you can solder pipe, just buy a copper union.

Jul 26, 2005, 04:00 PM
    I will do that
    Thank you
    Ged

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water is coming out of the overflow pipe [ 2 Answers ]

The overflow pipe which, I presume, comes out of a tank in the attic is letting water out intermitently. The pipe comes out from above my bedroom window, below the roof. What could be the cause of the problem ? Thanks in anticipation.

Clogged laundry basin, overflow pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I've had problems with laundry sink(basement) we have the washer draining in it and it's overflowed several times. I tried to snake the overflow pipe but I believe there is a solid dirt plug, my guess is maybe tree roots or something. Also there is limited working space because of cabinets...

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

AC is draining out of the overflow pipe [ 4 Answers ]

What would cause my AC to drained out of the overflow pipe?

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search