Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StripClubDJBobbyMac Posts: 44, Reputation: 3

Jul 23, 2007, 06:25 AM
    DVD/CD Drive won't read ANYTHING now
    :confused: HELP?! I have a brand new HP Media Center PC with VISTA that I LOVE and have had no problems in the past 5 months Iv'e owned it. Iv'e been burning everything on it like music, data, dvds, etc. without any snags at all. Today when I insert ANY type of disk, the drive closes and the LED light comes on for a sec then stays off with no "spinning or reading" sounds for more than a second. Ejected disks only seemed to have moved slightly. Checked for help options on line and have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers with a reboot, system says everything is fine. Tried dusting laser (I see it still glowing when I open the tray) but no dice their either. Tried update and it came back "UP TO DATE". In the drawer I can see that the "rubber belt - sorry dont know what its called" around the wheels seems intact and the tray itself seems unobstructed and opens/closes easily. Any idea what's wrong or how to proceed? MUSIC annd DATA is my way of life - CAN YA HELP A GUY OUT?? PLEASE AND THANKS TO ALL AND ANY SUGGESTIONS - New Member - Bobby Mac
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 23, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Call 1-800 HP INVENT, have them walk you through the diagnostics. Its possible the drive has gone bad and they will send a replacment.
    StripClubDJBobbyMac Posts: 44, Reputation: 3

Jul 24, 2007, 05:53 PM
    Scott Thank You for the help with my CD DVD drive you were right on the money... I spent last night going through tutorials with the number you gave me, and a full system recovery later with all my computer files GONE - they are now ging to send me a new drive. BMAC

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DVD ROM and DVD RW drives won't read any discs. [ 18 Answers ]

I've tried a few discs in both drives and neither of the drives can read them. It's like there's nothing in the drives. :confused:. I think it might be a problem to do with some software I had installed 'Sonic software'. I have now removed this but the CD drives still have an exclamation mark next...

DVD & CD 's can't read correctly! [ 2 Answers ]

On Both my cdrom and my dvd, if I have a Disk in the drive and Type DIR & read that disk, then remove the disk. Then put a totally different disk in the same Drive. Then Type dir and Try to read the Drive it will Display the Dir of the CD that I have Just removed. I have to reboot my machine to...

CD & DVD will not read Correctly! [ 1 Answers ]

On Both my cdrom and my dvd, if I have a Disk in the drive and Type DIR & read that disk, then remove the disk. Then put a totally different disk in the same Drive. Then Type dir and Try to read the Drive it will Display the Dir of the CD that I have Just removed. I have to reboot my machine to...

XP refuses to read my CD/DVD drives [ 4 Answers ]

Whenever I put in a CD into my DVD drive, it won't autoplay. I have 2 drives, DVD and CDRW, and both suffer from the same problem. The only way to get autoplay working is by leaving the CD in the drives and restarting the computer. The other way is to continually pop the cd drive in and out...

View more questions Search