Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solstice Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 12:50 AM
    Snorting non-prescription drugs
    I have a son that is confirmed by a friend to snorting prescription drugs. I am thinking ADHD meds and Vicodin. I just can't figure out how he would get his hands on the vicodin. Do people snort non-prescription drugs? If so what?

I read that Vicodin can make your face swollen. I have seen this in him. Is there anything else that makes your face and lips look swollen up?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 12:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice
    Do people snort non-prescription drugs? If so what?
    Uh... Cocaine, Ketamine, Heroin/Morphine, Phencyclidine, Amphetamines, Ritalin, ecstasy and Zolpidem are commonly insufflated. Most of those are used recreationally.
    solstice Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2007, 01:14 AM
    Thanks for info. He was just prescribed ambien, I will keep an eye on that one! Thanks for the breakdown. Most I did not know what they were and I was able to look them up.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 01:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Uh... Cocaine, Ketamine, Heroin/Morphine, Phencyclidine, Amphetamines, Ritalin, ecstasy and Zolpidem are commonly insufflated. Most of those are used recreationally.
    Good, quick answer above!
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2007, 04:00 AM
    As for face swollen, I can't answer that but hopefully J_9 might be able to help.. :)
    informant4u Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 02:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I have a son that is confirmed by a friend to snorting prescription drugs. I am thinking ADHD meds and Vicodin. I just can't figure out how he would get his hands on the vicodin. Do people snort non-prescription drugs? If so what?

I read that Vicodin can make your face swollen. I have seen this in him. Is there anything else that makes your face and lips look swollen up?
    Im not sure if tat has called the inflimation,possible but I'm not educated in weither that is a factual side affect of use.
    PHP Code:
    Melatonin  overdoses or higher then thereaputic doses over 1-3 days can cause swelling and procedeing can swell eye shut even making sleepy crust or eye drainage from night stick your eyelids stuck as though it was glued,ssri drugs like saroquell can cause this when on doses of 275-1000mg as often its used for sleep at these levels.5htp the herbcan cause same reaction.Swoleen eyes exxpecialy the lid means your son is experienceing a saratonin storm.thsi means that ssri or other drugs which affect the saratonin chemical in the brain have cloged this drainage of this chemical and the produre keeps pumping uneded saratonin and the dopeamean inturn is lowered and the user may even be latargic ,antisocial,and bland.As for vikodid and other opiods you would see glistenign eyes being clear as snow with pupils enlarged as big as quarter and as small as dime,opiods cause aneima when abused and also bad bladder useage and even damage to where users peee is yellow or even orange and it typicaly causes unwanted erections and sometimes natiouness.You would know if he was infact using opiods,he would be euphoric as evidance very happy and grandiouse and all of a sudden snap and life is bland again,amphetamines can sometimes evidense this way.If he is infact snorting them it would be demerol or focalyn or some amphetamien for adhd,i would suggest gettiing neltrexone script and hiding it in his breafast ,this drug blocks opiods,and if you see results or even not it will elimaanate drug addiction,it can even cause him to get sick if he uses.If hes snorting anythign hes self medicatingandif his eyes are swollen hes probably a solo user so i would suggest getting him a therputic dose of a med liek adderall or focalin or seroquill..if he gets manic and depresed try lithium or depacoat.Peopel donet abuse alone for spite of there parentsmthey want to feal normal and perductive,rarly its for the euphoria but rather effectancy and faster absorbtion

Jun 29, 2009, 02:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by informant4u View Post
    Im not sure if tat has called the inflimation,possible but im not educated in weither that is a factual side affect of use.
    PHP Code:
    Melatonin  overdoses or higher then thereaputic doses over 1-3 days can cause swelling and procedeing can swell eye shut even making sleepy crust or eye drainage from night stick your eyelids stuck as though it was glued,ssri drugs like saroquell can cause this when on doses of 275-1000mg as often its used for sleep at these levels.5htp the herbcan cause same reaction.Swoleen eyes exxpecialy the lid means your son is experienceing a saratonin storm.thsi means that ssri or other drugs which affect the saratonin chemical in the brain have cloged this drainage of this chemical and the produre keeps pumping uneded saratonin and the dopeamean inturn is lowered and the user may even be latargic ,antisocial,and bland.As for vikodid and other opiods you would see glistenign eyes being clear as snow with pupils enlarged as big as quarter and as small as dime,opiods cause aneima when abused and also bad bladder useage and even damage to where users peee is yellow or even orange and it typicaly causes unwanted erections and sometimes natiouness.You would know if he was infact using opiods,he would be euphoric as evidance very happy and grandiouse and all of a sudden snap and life is bland again,amphetamines can sometimes evidense this way.If he is infact snorting them it would be demerol or focalyn or some amphetamien for adhd,i would suggest gettiing neltrexone script and hiding it in his breafast ,this drug blocks opiods,and if you see results or even not it will elimaanate drug addiction,it can even cause him to get sick if he uses.If hes snorting anythign hes self medicatingandif his eyes are swollen hes probably a solo user so i would suggest getting him a therputic dose of a med liek adderall or focalin or seroquill..if he gets manic and depresed try lithium or depacoat.Peopel donet abuse alone for spite of there parentsmthey want to feal normal and perductive,rarly its for the euphoria but rather effectancy and faster absorbtion
    OK

Jun 29, 2009, 02:22 AM

His friend may think he is or your sonmay not know what he's using,its rare for a child or a teen to get better pain killers then tab 10 tylenols and loritabs rarly one can get demerol with the pepto bismoth coating.. often prednazone or antiheistamines are sold as counterfit,
    If it's a new roblem people drift into drug addiction and so its untheisable to expect so much out of a new user,familys see evidensebefore that happens and often familys allow it for fear of law troubles.If he's snorting the pain pill you say then he's ignorant cause those fillers can mess up your nose worse then your standard white powder.You would see nose leeeds all for a sudden and you would see cached power in his nose because pain pills crinded up don't go down well when in those mixed with anti inflamatory forms.. Look for cutt straws acceess id cards or business cards,cut bagges or folded up bags with indentions and powders on them.Look for access batteries as much users use batteries to cruch up pills under bag as roller.Look for crumbs in floor or papers from straws.Look for took apart pins and access nails and small unusefull items laying around astray push rods for straws they use these items for.Cracked cd cases stained surfaces.. splinters on dresser from crushing,many paper towls or klenexes around place of sittign in room,Rolled up dollar bills,and increses in techno and fast beat music.. see any of these then confrount him and if not don't go behind his back in such a way.he will use if he figures your secret inquiry,trust him until you have even 7 percent proof.it will be clear if he's snorting its high matence high supply addiction.
    maddy74 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2009, 07:50 PM
    thx for info. He was just prescribed ambien, I will keep an eye on that one! Thanks for the breakdown. Most I did not know what they were and I was able to look them up.
    Please remember that Ambien is also Zolpidem as the medical generic name. I am not aware why the doctor is prescribing Ambien for your child because these are the new generation of sleeping pills that are normally prescribed only when the patient has insomnia.

And for Ambien when taken in high doses , it will create a feeling of excessive calm or euphoric high in some individuals. Side effects will be amnesia , confusion, hallucinations, sleep walking , and also bingeing while sleeping. This drug cannot be used for more than 2 to 4 weeks and if needed the dosage has to be monitored by the doctor. In other words, your son is now taking a medication which potentially highly to become habit forming if he has any history of addiction to any form of drug as mentioned by you.

You can check with his doctor of the side effects of the drug and the intent of prescription. If he is still taking them after 2 weeks consecutively, please note that the dosage ideally should be 5mg for adolescents and the elderly , and for adults to be only 10 mg per day. Once if you notice your son to increase the dosage, you have to watch him closely to prevent him from being overly dependent on it.

Although there is medical literature to support that Ambien or Zolpidem is safe and not as addictive as the old group of benzopedines like valium which used to be also prescribed freely. Do monitor his dosage and also if possible talk to the doctor about his problem. I can only comment that normally its not the practice for doctors to prescribe this major tranquilizer as its being widely abused in Europe and cases of side effects have been documented in Australia especially ( you can Google for wikipedia for a good guide of how the drug works ).

Once you can establish the reason why the drug is prescribed and how much he is taking will I be able to determine whether he needs to take this drug or to suggest any alternative therapies which he can use.

With blessings and love.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ibuprofen (Prescription) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I have found out that there is a prescription for ibuprofen. 600 mg for each tablet. Somebody said to me that you can take one pill and sometimes when they are feeling lots of pain they take two. What is the directions for the prescription form of ibuprofen with 600 mg pills. Thank...

False name on prescription [ 9 Answers ]

Hi does anyone know what is likely to happen... I stupidly and unsure why but I presented to a local hospital in pain and gave them the wrong name address and dob... I was released from hospital on morphine quite a high dosage... I then went to another doctors practice using the same name and got a...

False name on prescription [ 1 Answers ]

Tankyou both for your response to my posting... You are both obviously from the states and I am from the uk... Does the law differ a lot in the two separate countries?. What is the likelihood of me being prosecuted for this?. I am so worried and this is 11 weeks after the event... As I said before...

No contact is this a therapy prescription? [ 10 Answers ]

I keep seeing a lot of "no contact" posts on this board. Anyone out there know if therapists ever prescribe as part of marriage counseling? Meaning, is it ever suggested for couples who are in trouble to focus inward and shut out the world? Or is it only used for men/women in the process of a...

Prescription Diet Pills [ 2 Answers ]

I am 10 lbs overweight and just can't seem to lose this extra weight. It may not seem like a lot, but on me, it is. It's all in my buns and thighs. I walk 1.25 miles every day (weather permitting) and 2 to 3 days a week, I walk 2.5 miles. I have a one year old child so I also get exercise running...

View more questions Search