Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Florida Dee Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2005, 04:21 PM
    What happens if the drain field isn't working?
    Just to test it, my husband filled the tub, and sure enough, the toilets bubbled, and the shower backed up. When the washer drained a short while earlier, the tub back filled at an alarming rate with brown, sludgy water. <GROSS!> I am quite concerned that, in fact the drain field may not be functioning. I must confess, that we were very young when we got our house, and since it sits on well-drained sugar sand, we didn't realize that we needed to have the septic pumped out regularly. Even when I found out that many people did have theirs pumped, my attitude was that as long as we were not having problems, we shouldn't mess with it. Now, I am concerned that we should have had it pumped sooner.

If we do open the tank, how do we tell if its too full? Basic plumbing (replacing sinks, fittings, etc. ) is not a problem, but this is a new one for us. If the field has indeed failed, what happens then? We have trees and things in the yard that I would hate to lose, so I'm curious as to what we would have to do to fix things.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 25, 2005, 05:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Florida Dee
    Just to test it, my husband filled the tub, and sure enough, the toilets bubbled, and the shower backed up. When the washer drained a short while earlier, the tub back filled at an alarming rate with brown, sludgy water. <GROSS!> I am quite concerned that, in fact the drain field may not be functioning. I must confess, that we were very young when we got our house, and since it sits on well-drained sugar sand, we didn't realize that we needed to have the septic pumped out regularly. Even when I found out that many people did have theirs pumped, my attitude was that as long as we were not having problems, we shouldn't mess with it. Now, I am concerned that we should have had it pumped sooner.

If we do open the tank, how do we tell if its too full? Basic plumbing (replacing sinks, fittings, etc.,) is not a problem, but this is a new one for us. If the field has indeed failed, what happens then? We have trees and things in the yard that I would hate to lose, so I'm curious as to what we would have to do to fix things.
    Testing the tank is easy. Open it up and cycle a few loads of wash into it. Watch the level. If the drain field is doing its job the level won't fluctuate all that much. If the level raises or overflows the tank then your problem is the drainfield. A septic company will have to come out and access your problem. Drain fields fail for one of two reasons. The holes/slots or openings in the pipes have clogged up and won't let the liquid percolate down into the soil or the ground area has become so saturated that it will no longer accept water form the drain field. The septic tank company you call out will have to advise you on the action needed. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Track & Field [ 2 Answers ]

When did the high schools switch from yards to meters? Example from 100yds to 100meters Eeample from 220yds to 200 meters

Field hockey [ 2 Answers ]

Is Field hockey a big sport in america or for girls? And how old are you when u start uni in the states? :)

Getting into zoology field [ 2 Answers ]

If I wanted a job in this field what kind of jobs would be open and what about requiremnts what's good education and training to have.

Field service engineer [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was a field service engineer for large laboratory instrument company, I wonder are I too old to get back to that industry,, I am now 54 and have left it 10 years ago,. I live in ireland regds mike

View more questions Search