Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tyshayky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 10:50 PM
    Bankruptcy or foreclosure
    I am in a bad situation with my home loan. I am negative equity and have a negative amoritization loan. Each month my I owe more on my loan. I already owe 50,000 more than I bought it for. I can barely afford the payments I am making now and the taxes are killing me. My husband works two jobs and we have NO MONEY!
    We don't want to be in this situation any more, it was a huge mistake for us to buy a house and we just want OUT.
    We can't sell because the market is down and we owe more that the house is worth.
    My question: Should we just walk out now and let the foreclosure process begin, or file bankruptcy?
    pacific nw Posts: 117, Reputation: 11
    -

Jul 24, 2007, 12:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tyshayky
    I am in a bad situation with my home loan. I am negitive equity and have a negitive amoritization loan. Each month my I owe more on my loan. I already owe 50,000 more than I bought it for. I can barely afford the payments I am making now and the taxes are killing me. My husband works two jobs and we have NO MONEY!
    We dont want to be in this situation any more, it was a huge mistake for us to buy a house and we just want OUT.
    We can't sell because the market is down and we owe more that the house is worth.
    My question: Should we just walk out now and let the foreclosure process begin, or file bankruptcy?
    You have a couple of options. First, the bank doesn't want the house if they can avoid it.

Ask them, yes call them up, and see if they can work out a forbearance agreement that you can afford. Second, if you file Chapt 13 bankruptcy, your payment likely will be MORE than your regular payment. The intent is to pay the back payments over time. If you owe a LOT of debt beyond the house mortgage, you may want to consider a Chapt 7 and get a fresh start. Two years after the END of the bankruptcy (Chapter 13 is usually 3 years long and Chapt 7 a couple of months) you will most likely qualify for another mortgage.

Be careful of the tax implications. The IRS usually views a debt write off as taxable.

You can try selling by Owner and save the Real Estate fees. The bank MAY allow you to sell the house for the amount owed if you have a bonified buyer.

You may want to just "walk away" and wait a couple of years to try to buy a house again. The form you filled out to get the mortgage probably asked if you ever lost a house to foreclosure. When you apply next, that same question will be asked. It is the worst possible thing to have on a mortgage application. No lender wants to get involved with someone who "walked away" from their mortgage, but it still is a lot better than spending the next 5 years under the strain of an unmanageable mortgage. Your family is too important to fall into that trap.

The next house could be purchased from the owner "on contract" EVEN IF you have any of the previous conditions, It just takes effort to find the right situation.

Remember, life doesn't stop just because we have a few "set backs" along the way. Edison "discoverd" 10,000 ways that a light bulb WOULDN'T work before he found one that did.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreclosure [ 10 Answers ]

Hi: I have an apartment in Miami and I can not make payments anymore, I refinanced it sometime ago to afford making the payments but I run out of money and I have no job or income of any kind. If the bank foreclosure the apartment are they going after me for money if they sell the apartment for...

Foreclosure complaint [ 1 Answers ]

I was handed a foreclosure complaint I have 28 days to answer the complaint can you tell me how to answer this I've never done it and don't know what to do. Thank you michelle

What is the consequences of foreclosure [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I have a property that is appraised for $540,000. I have a bank loan of $350,000. Since I took a interest only loan, it's going to expire in Sept 07. I need to pay off the loan. I have an unofficial partner who has screwed me over and the loan is only in my name. What happens to me if I...

Relocation and foreclosure [ 1 Answers ]

I have to relocate for work out of state I have ahouse that will not sell. I can't pay the mortgage here and afford to pay rent in the new area. I am so afraid of renting. I'm out of state and what if they don't pay the rent? There is another name on the deed but not on the loan? Is that person...

Foreclosure on mortgage [ 2 Answers ]

My Mother has sold her House, and carried the mortgage Herself. I have Power of attorney over Her, and She is now unable to handle her Finances. The mortgage payment is over a month overdue. I sent the buyer A certified letter,letting Her know that I was handeling Mother's finances At this...

View more questions Search