Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rlrl Posts: 44, Reputation: 4

Jul 22, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Crime vs violation
    Hello and good afternoon. In 1996 I Was charged with a class B misdemeanor but pled guilty to a violation in NY, which is a non-criminal offense. I had a conditional discharge, paid a $50 fine and in a year the case was "partially sealed"(fingerprints with NY sealed and FBI expunged, DA and police records sealed) but the court record is open due to the guilty plea.

In NY, a violation is a non-criminal offense and is not a fingerprintable offense. On the state level, A violation conviction is subject to the same sealing provisions as an arrest that led to a dismissal, ACD or acquittal because criminal action was terminated

My concern is how to answer certain job/licensing application questions. I assume I can answer "no" to questions that ask "have you ever been convicted of a crime". I would have to answer "yes' to questions like "have you ever been convicted of any violation of any law regulation or ordinance" or "have you ever entered a guilty plea in any court"?.

However how do i answer a question that asks "have you ever been convicted of any criminal offense(except for minor traffic violations).

A violation in NY state is more than a civil infraction such as an open container and more than a speeding ticket, but it's less than a misdemeanor It's an offense on the NY state penal code that's listed as a violation, not a misdemeanor or felony

Any ideas?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 04:00 PM
    Hello rl:

So, the question you really want answered is can they find out about your conviction/non-conviction. In my view, they can - if they want to - I don't care if it's sealed/expunged or thrown away.

If you say no, will they find out? If you say yes, will you get the job? I don't know. I'll leave the hair splitting to you.

excon
    couns1337 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 06:34 PM
    What is a Class D felony?
    rlrl Posts: 44, Reputation: 4

Jul 26, 2007, 09:00 PM
    A D felony is less serious than a C, B or A felony. In NY a second DWI offense(first DWI offense is a class A misdemeanor in NY) in a 5 year period is a class E felony

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hippa Violation Or Privacy Law Violation? [ 16 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend got me pregnant and left me at four months. I have many physical problems and he had his friend who is a pharmicist look up my perscriptions (I live 40 miles away from that store location and have never been there) and then the pharmacisit shared all the information. Can I do...

Psychology and Crime [ 4 Answers ]

Please could anyone help, I'm stuck on a question of my assignment that's due in on Monday, I only have 3 days left to complete this. The question is... Describe the main research methods used in studying psychology and crime. Thank you in advance to anyone who could answer this for me,...

When do someone commentt a crime? [ 2 Answers ]

Is it when he/she think about commenting it?:confused: Or when he/she has commented?:rolleyes: Or After commenting the crime?:cool:

Travel And Crime [ 4 Answers ]

Me and my b/f are hoping to travel to Florida from ireland. He has a prior record for possession of drugs (marajuana) I've heard they won't let you in with a drugs record but I also know people who hae travelled over and let in the u.s... has anyone got any experience with this??

Is it a crime? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm really curious, recently, my parents threw me out. (actually about 5 times in the last year). Right now I'm only 17. 4 of the times they threw me out, they didn't provide a place for me to live. Their lawyer told them they didn't have to let me stay there once I was 16. Is this true?

View more questions Search