Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dawnjs Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2007, 01:33 PM
    Agitated Cat
    Our cat Moofie is a female approximately 8 years old - she has always been very loving however just recently she has been acting in a very agitated manner - she bit my husband twice - very badly (he required mediation) while holding her and it seems she is very frightened at the strangest things - she is the same way to me and we have become very cautious around her. She is an inside/outdoor cat and we are aware of her whereabouts most of the time. She is our baby and we love her very much and are at a loss as to what the problem is. Taking her to the Vet would mean a car ride and not sure how she would react to this. Any help would be appreciated.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Has she been out unsupervised lately..
    Could be someone scared her...

Or she might be unwell and the visit to the vet might be more helpful than harm...

Jul 22, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Thank you for your interest - I don't think that she has been frightened by anything outdoors because she is so eager to be out there most of the day time. We bring her in every evening around 7:00 p.m. and we are always aware of whereabouts - she comes inside and goes outside a million times a day (grin).

And, yes, I am calling our Vet tomorrow to get his viewpoint.

Thank you once again for your suggestions.

Dawnjs and Moofie
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 22, 2007, 07:08 PM
    Let me tell you about my cat callie.We had a pet snake ,and we did not realize it had got out of its cage,but callie new.Well,I was holding callie,and she was rubbing against a throw pillow near my lap that obviously the snake's scent was on.Well callie suddenly caught a wiff of the snake's scent and she jumped straight up,2 feet,then lands directly on my bare legs and rips them open with her claws.The cat meanwhile is hopping,spitting,and hissing all over the room.We finally realizes the snake had climbed into the couch,and she knew it, and was freaked.So maybe a critter is in your house that your cat is troubled by.Just something you may want to check on.;)

Jul 23, 2007, 11:48 AM
    Thank you for your response - I did not mention it in my first e-mail but when
    Moofie was spooked the first time my husband was holding her and I was misting a palm plant beside her and the hissing sound of the mister must have frightened her she then bit and scratched my husband (to get away) - that was the first time it happened and the start of her wild behaviour and it still continues. She was on my husbands desk yesterday and his comb (black) was beside his blotter she jumped on the desk and started smacking at the comb and then jumped down - but her behaviour certainly is continuing and we are very cautious with her - which is too bad because we just love her and want our loving kitty back.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 23, 2007, 12:13 PM
    :p After my cat was scared by the snake,she acted weird and very cautious all the time.I think she was unsure if she may come across the snake again.I really can't blame her,If a wasp or spider gets near me I freak out.Your cat was probably frightened by the hissing,and now she is still nervous about what it may have been.

Jul 23, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Thank you again for your information and we certainly will keep that in mind - it seems to be taking some time for her to settle down but I we uderstand the stress she must feel - Cheers!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 05:09 PM
    Dawn my cat has done that with black garbage bags and also a t.v. that we were going to put out in the trash, It was sitting in the floor and he kept smacking the black screen. I know what you are talikng about. But afte awhile they forget and settle back down. Btw he is about 13 years old.
    vitessead Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 07:42 PM
    If she is indoor/outdoor it may be that a fox or raccoon at night might be frightening her at night and your husband might be "just there" when she comes in at night when she's frightened.
    Lindsay1223 Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 27, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Do you live on a busy street or are you in the country... if on a busy street does she wonder from the yard into open area or stick the house?

Aug 3, 2007, 01:26 PM
    We do not live on a busy street and you might say we live in the country - we live beside a park on a golf course. And yes, there are raccons in the area - and it is likely she may have been frightened by them at some time when we were not totally aware of her whereabouts (which we are most of the time) Thank you for your interest.
    Dawn

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat had 2 kittens they are 1 day old how long before my cat go's outside [ 7 Answers ]

My cat has just has 2 beautiful kittens she has been with them since she had them but she has come downstairs and seems to want to go outside they are just over 1 day old and both seem fine but I don't want my cat to leave them for to long. I'm not sure if she wanted to go to the litter tray as I...

Another cat added to house with a cat. Resident cat not happy. [ 8 Answers ]

Please would you kindly advise us on how we can help our cats get along together? My sister and I are proud owners of two adorable cats: my sister’s cat is a feisty female, 4 year old rescue cat long haired tortoise-shell, named Duchess. My cat is an 11 year old British Shorthair lilac male...

Pregnant cat question(my 1st cat) [ 7 Answers ]

My kitty is pregnant ,kittens in like 2 weeks.. the male cat just hangs at my house stalking her,it seems like she doesn't like him anymore.why is he back now that she's not in heat? He won't leave.i don't no anything about cats ,please help..

Female outdoor cat not accepting new male outdoor cat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 10 year old spayed female cat that has always lived in our garage and is very spoiled. We live out in the country. A male cat about two years old that is very sweet also showed up and is now neutered. He is not dominate to the female and wants to live in the garage also. They each have...

Cat acting strange when bringing our cat we had before back home... [ 1 Answers ]

We have three cats; Kittie, Trinie, and Cleveland. The first two are girls and are younger than Cleveland by about 4 years. One of our cats ran away a month ago. I don't know how she got out but we couldn't find her anywhere. Yesterday she turned up in a neighbors yard, and then I brought her...

View more questions Search