Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sergeant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2005, 09:28 AM
    Air/Furnance Blower
    Our air conditioning was working fine until last week. Now after it is on several hours the blower quits running. The air conditioner is still running. I shut the whole system off for an hour or so and the blower on the furnace comes back on. We had the relay switch replaced last winter when the blower would not run.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2005, 11:04 AM
    Nothing provides more job security for electricians than the common relay. It could be bad again. On the other hand, it sounds more likely it is a overload built into the blower motor. If the motor is getting old and drawing more current because of a dry bearing or partly shorted windings, it could get hot and the circuit breaker like overloads in it open. Once cooled, they close themselves. Next time the blower stops, check to see if you have power to the load side of the relay. A few drops of oil in the bearing might be all it takes. If you are more adventurous, sometimes you can even lubricate a bearing that was not designed to be lubricated. If the blower is belt driven, the offending bearing may be on its shaft. Identify dry bearings by turning the blower its self by hand. Little or no resistance is more likely to be a problem than a light, but smooth resistance. A dry ball bearing turns easier than a lubricated one cold, but heats up builds resistance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a replacement furnace [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a cape cod style home. I currently have a lennox gas furnace Which is 18 years old and the electronic ignition is going bad. I have been looking at the following: Lennox (80 percent) Carrier, and Goodman. I only plan to stay in the home for 3 to 5 yrs. More. The house is 52 yrs. Old....

Gas furnace runs two cycles [ 1 Answers ]

My gas furnace is approx. 30 years old. The furnace will run one cycle, shut off and approx. 15 seconds later run again for a shorter period. Everything is working properly, heating correctly etc. but runs two cycles. Any thoughts on why?

Furnace blower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a older home with a older furnace. I started it up this fall and the blower continues to run after the house has warmed and the themostat has turned off. The blower runs and runs, blowing cool air. To stop it I have to turn off the main switch to the furnace. What do you think the...

Furnace making noise when it start (sound like a generator) [ 2 Answers ]

Hello experts, I have a Lennox Signature series furnace which is about 9 years old. Since last window, it make a very loud noise when it start. The noise sounds like a power generator making humming sound. I would to have some idea where to look at before calling technician. Thank you.

Furnace coil blocked? [ 2 Answers ]

Our furnace heater coil is only 5 yrs old. We have little hot water pressure throughout the house. We have been told the coil element in our tankless system is blocked and we need a replacement coil. It is going to cost at least $650. An option is buying a separate water heater for $1600. We are...

View more questions Search