Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Jul 22, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Is the Bible trustworthy
    There are so many different versions of the Bible, so I ask, "Is the Bible trustworthy?" If it is, why are there so many different versions of it?

Nicnet Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2007, 11:33 AM
    The different version of the bible are primarily due to different translations of the originals books. Old words in greek / hebrew would be translated into latin and again translated into another language. The wording was subject to different interpretations by the various scribes who were translating it.

Due to different people commissioning the translations different versions were formed. Ie, king james version. Gideon etc

To get to the bottom of it would take a lifetime and require original copies of the original scrolls to re-translate the entire bible. You would then need to compare that translation to current versions.

I think that basically the versions are very much alike, just slight variations in the actual wording. Although the wording may be slightly different the essence mainly remains the same.

Trust in the bible is a personal thing as you are placing your trust in someone else's interpretation of the original texts.

Nicnet
    otto186 Posts: 152, Reputation: 14

Jul 22, 2007, 11:42 AM
    There are so many different versions because over time the story was passed down from generation to generation and it go distorted before we as a society could start recording these "events".

So to answer your question, it is my OPINION that the Bible is not a trustworthy source.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 11:50 AM
    There are no "original scrolls" in existence.

Here is a site that explains why there are so many translations and a short description of the major translations:

Why So Many Bible Translations?

Here is a similar explanation from this site (http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=1825):

There have been two great periods of English Bible translation in history—the sixteenth century and the twentieth century. In many respects, they are mirror images of each other. Each began with a certain kind of translation that was then followed for many generations. The Tyndale was the template for almost all 16th century Bibles; the RV set the pattern for most modern translations.

In the sixteenth century, the predominant concern in Bible translation was beauty; in the twentieth century, it was truth. No single translation at any time has captured all that the original text has to offer.

Not only this, but none of the Bible translations were produced in a vacuum. There were political and religious groups behind the scenes that were driving much of the production.

And this is why there is no simple answer to the question, “What's the best translation available today?” No translation can capture the full force of the original. The best we can do is to own several different kinds of translations. You may need one for serious study, another for casual reading, and another for memorizing. But don't shortchange yourself by thinking that one Bible is all you need. The only Bible that can make that claim is the Greek and Hebrew Bible.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2007, 12:07 PM
    J.C. Wenger taught at Goshen College, Goshen, Indiana, and at the Mennonite Biblical Seminary, Elkhart, Indiana. He wrote a inspiring article called, "Is The Bible Trustworthy?", which can be found at Is the Bible Trustworthy?. Bill Bright, from Campus Crusade For Christ, also wrote an article on this, Is the Bible Trustworthy?. Josh McDowell wrote a very concise piece about this in Is the Bible Trustworthy?.

Abvout the Bible translations. Some of the translations were done to rephrase archaic language, simplify language so that children could understand the words, etc.
    Some articles on that are:
    Why are there so many versions of the English Bible? Which is the best one?
    Hhttp://www.bibletranslation.ws/ttp://www.allabouttruth.org/versions-of-the-holy-bible-faq.htm

Personally, I have the KJV and the American Standard and also my family Bible, which is the old family Catholic Bible. I have read other versions and prefer the KJV. You could write your own translation to the Bible as well as I could. Would that make it trustworthy? If you kept to the Word, it would, not?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

What does te Bible say about. [ 7 Answers ]

What does the Bible have to say about Marijuana smoking? I would love to know if it's a sin (I assume it is) and why... if anyone could help I would appreciate it! Thanks .

Brother Not Trustworthy [ 6 Answers ]

In February my Dad, now deceased, put my brother's name on my parents house by means of Quit Claim Deed. My Mother is still living and also signed the deed. Now my brother has moved in completely against the wishes of my Mother. Since the death of Dad, Mom has made a will, living will, and...

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search