Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dfwswf Posts: 11, Reputation: 0

Jul 22, 2007, 02:44 AM
    How Do I Know How Much Dirt Is Needed To Level My Yard?
    My backyard slopes downward to a stockade fence and beyond the fence are railroad tracks. I live in Dallas/Ft Worth and with all the tremendous amount of rain we've received this year my backyard is literally washing away under the fence. I would assume that I'm going to have to have some dirt brought in but I know nothing about doing this. For instance, how do I measure to know just how much dirt is needed? How is dirt measured and what is an average cost? And how will I keep the newly delivered dirt from just washing away as well? Of course there is one area that is worse than the rest but it is eroding pretty much clear across the entire fence line. Also, I've heard the term "fill dirt". Is there a way to get fill dirt possibly for free? Maybe from construction companies or maybe pool companies that would find clearing excavated dirt an expensive task on their end - thereby welcoming my offer to remove it for them? Because I just can't imagine filling the entire area with top soil - that seems it would be terribly expensive. I realize that after leveling a layer of top soil would be needed for growing grass but couldn't some other type of dirt be under the layer of top soil?

Thank you!
    Michelle
    Nicnet Posts: 24, Reputation: 3

Jul 22, 2007, 04:23 AM
    I would start by filling the bulk of it in with gravel / broken bricks. Construction rubble mainly. It's a lot heavier and will not wash away as easily. Would also help if you sank a few poles down into it to help stabalize the area a bit more.

Use the heavy rubbel at the bottom and gradiate it upwards to topsoil for planting. This won't be fantastic for plants in the long run but some good hedging plants will also help stabalize the area when they establish. Roots will help hold the topsoil in place and grass over the rest with one of those really tough texan grasses.

Work out the total area you need to fill in roughly. Measure length breadth and height to maximum. Get enough rubbel to fill in approx 10/th of it and that will give you a pretty good idea how much more you will need to finish the job off.

Builders rubble should be available from most construction sites where demolition is taking place. They don't reuse most of it and I'm sure some of the 'gang' would make a plan and deliver it for a 'in hand' price. If there is a local site then talk to the construction boss and tell him he can use that area for a rubble dump for a couple of van loads. It will save t hem time and money. But him a bottle of his favourite drink and see how it goes. Make sure its not 'unsorted rubble' though. With wood and pipes etc in it. You only want the broken bricks and concrete bits and graded dependent on how deep the hole is. Smaller stuff for smaller hole etc.

Please let me know if this is helpful or not

Nicnet
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 10:40 AM
    I Don't Know About Texas, But Here In The Great State Of Tennessee, We Have At Our Disposal The Usda (united States Department Of Agriculture) "county Agents". I Do Not Know What They Would Be Called In Texas, But They Should Be Able To Direct You To A "soil Conservation Officer" , Also Either State Of Texas, Or Usda Paid Individual That Can Help You Figure And May Even Be Able To Get You A Discount On Fill Material.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2007, 12:01 PM
    Ummmm, Helloooo, Did You Find Any Answers Yet About The Info I Sent You?
    notfinished Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 06:10 AM
    As swell as your answers were, she wants to level and contain.Not fill the Grand Canyon

As swell as your answers were, she wants to level and contain.Not fill the Grand Canyon
    notfinished Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

notfinished Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2009, 06:13 AM

This needed to be said 4 times.Only kidding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dog spins in yard chasing dirt [ 7 Answers ]

We rescued a beautiful female german shepherd 3 months ago. She spends a tremendous amount of her time outside pawing up dirt and spinning around trying to catch it. Because of all of this (I assume nervous energy) she is not gaining weight. She eats about 6 cups of high quality food a day and we...

Older than dirt test [ 7 Answers ]

Older Than Dirt Quiz: Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about. Ratings at the bo 1. Blackjack chewing gum 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water 3. Candy cigarettes 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed glass bottles 5. Coffee shops or diners...

Dirt inside of crucifixes [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering what the meaning of "terra _____cumbarum" means? A few of the letters are obscured by the dirt, so I really do not know what other letters are missing. Thanks

Dirt amounts [ 1 Answers ]

How much dirt would I need (in yards ) to fill a hole 1ft deep by 10 ft long by 15ft wide

Cat dirt in my garden [ 11 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me a proven cure for keeping cats out of my garden, I've tried orange peel, garlic cloves and other than getting a dog don't know what to do next. I don't want to hurt them, just don't want them making my garden smelly.

View more questions Search