Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    figueroa4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2005, 02:57 PM
    Changing 15amp outlet to 30 - will it work?
    Our gas dryer just went out and we have an electric one in the shed. When we brought it in to plug it up the plug was not the same kind as the outlet. (The gas dryer was plugged into a standard outlet with the washer.) The electric dryer's cord has an L shaped prong but the outlet has what looks to be made for 3 flat shaped prongs (the top two are a little fatter than the bottom). On the outlet it says this: Rodale 10A.250V.15A.125V

We went to Lowe's thinking we could find an adapter or new cord. The only cords we could find were like ours and no adapters. But we did find a new outlet that will fit what we have. We just don't know if it will be a problem because it says: 30A 125V/250V. Does the amp difference matter in this situation? My husband is afraid that it might catch fire. ~Thanks Bethany~
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2005, 10:01 PM
    The plug isn't the problem. To deliver the electricity it takes to dry clothes, it takes a heavy 3 conductor cable. The 15 amp outlet likely is wired up with a 12-2, and maybe only 14-2 cable. It can not deliver either the volts or amps the dryer requires. If you only have a 100 amp breaker box as many older homes do, your wiring system not support an electric dryer.

Cheapest think might be to sell the electric dryer and buy a used gas dryer. Maybe even advertise as sell or trade.
    PAGUILAR01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2008, 09:48 PM

Your new dryer is 250 , you need to run 10/3 wire from your main panel with a double 30amp breaker
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 21, 2008, 03:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by PAGUILAR01 View Post
    your new dryer is 250 , you need to run 10/3 wire from your main panel with a double 30amp breaker
    Did you realize this thread is well over three years old?

And a dryer is 120/240v. Not "250".
    hedlok Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Oct 21, 2008, 06:00 PM

Their clothes have surely dried on their own by now... LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfi outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved into the house in May. I believe the gfi outlet was working when the inspector inspected our house, but it seemed soon after it stopped working. We tried to press the reset button just in case the test button was pressed and nothing happens (meaning it won't depress or anything). Just...

Switching from 15AMP breaker to 20AMP [ 6 Answers ]

I am contemplating switching my 15AMP breaker into a 20AMP breaker because the lights flicker in my home office because my computer and printer eat up a lot of power. If I switch breakers, will this help my power problem? Or I am limited to the gauge of the wires in the wall? Thanks for the...

120 volt outlet from 240 volt outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I understand that it is possbile to wire a 120 volt outlet from a 240 volt outlet. My 240 volt outlet has 3 wires in, white, black, and a ground. Do I wire the 120 volt outlet from the either wire and the ground? My voltage meter indicates that connection is 120 volts. Is there any down side to...

15amp or 20amp? [ 2 Answers ]

Does the 2005 NEC allow bedroom and living room outlets to be on a 15amp circuit? I am familiar with the 80% rule. Thanks in advance. Tom

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

View more questions Search