Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romeo_Bravo Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 11:58 AM
    Anyone from/been to Sweden?
    I would like to go to Sweden, and that's why I was wondering whether the people in Sweden speak English, since I do not speak Swedish.

If anyone has any more tips, hotspots, points of interest or things to look out for, feel free to comment them
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2007, 12:09 PM
    I've not been to Sweden, but my cousin's wife is from there and they travel between there and the US pretty often. They love it there. She speaks English, and from what I understand, many people in the tourist areas will be able to communicate with you. You might want to pick up a book to learn some basic phrases, because saying "please" and "thank you" in a country's native tongue is considered polite.

Check out this site: Sweden Tourism - Sweden Vacation Reviews - Sweden Vacations - TripAdvisor for a lot of info. You can find a hotel, check out things to do, and read reviews.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Yes, many people who live in Sweden speak English. You can start learning some Swedish online by one of the following:

Learn Swedish Online - Write or Speak in Swedish Language Exchange
    Hear Conversational Swedish Phrases
    BBC - Languages Quick Fix - Swedish
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Yes! My mother is from sweden, and I spent about a month there every other year during the summer when I was growing up.

It's an absolutely beautiful country. I think the best advice would be to pick up some good guide books that fit your budget. Obviously, I wouldn't miss stockholm, but there are also thousands of charming little places that are worth visiting. If you know any swedes, I would make sure to visit them! I have a personal weakness for little swedish island houses, the baltic, swedish pancakes, and the most amazing jams you've ever tasted. By the way, their wild blueberries will actually turn your mouth bright purple.

Swedes (especially those on the younger side) generally speak english so well that it will boggle your mind. Manditory english is integrated into their schooling from a very, very young age, and a lot of TV programs are shown in english (with swedish subtitles).

I really hope you decide to go! I happen to prefer the summertime there, especially as the (very) northern town where my mother grew up benefits from the "midnight sun." (stockholm doesn't, but it does stay light until fairly late).

Enjoy your trip, and make sure to let us know how much you loved it! :)
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2008, 04:52 PM
    Yes! My mother is from sweden, and I spent about a month there every other year during the summer when I was growing up.

It's an absolutely beautiful country. I think the best advice would be to pick up some good guide books that fit your budget. Obviously, I wouldn't miss stockholm, but there are also thousands of charming little places that are worth visiting. If you know any swedes, I would make sure to visit them! I have a personal weakness for little swedish island houses, the baltic, swedish pancakes, and the most amazing jams you've ever tasted. By the way, their wild blueberries will actually turn your mouth bright purple.

Swedes (especially those on the younger side) generally speak english so well that it will boggle your mind. Manditory english is integrated into their schooling from a very, very young age, and a lot of TV programs are shown in english (with swedish subtitles).

I really hope you decide to go! I happen to prefer the summertime there, especially as the (very) northern town where my mother grew up benefits from the "midnight sun." (stockholm doesn't, but it does stay light until fairly late).

Enjoy your trip, and make sure to let us know how much you loved it! :)
    Romeo_Bravo Posts: 31, Reputation: 1

Jun 23, 2008, 06:17 AM
    Wow, thanks for the accurate answer there, linnealand. I had already given up on this thread.

I will go there someday, and that midnight sun I heard about seems like a thing you must have seen. That isn't something you can only see in summertime, is it? Otherwise I will have to wait another year:(

Anyway, you mention a lot of useful information in your post, thanks for that.
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2008, 01:14 PM
    Hello again. You're quite welcome!

Actually, the midnight sun is ONLY visible in the high north during the deepest part of the summer. As in the rest of the world, as the earth's orbit changes, the light changes as well. So wherever you were getting more sun, you're getting less. This means that in the deepest part of winter, around the arctic circle, you're going to get as little as 5 hours of light per day (i.e. dawn at 10 am, sunset at 3 pm). Then everything is covered in snow - it's unbelievable - the baltic freezes over in many parts, and all of the moonlight and stars are reflected from the ground up. It's a different world completely. Google: midnight sun; northern lights; summers in sweden

It's amazing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Scholarship search for study in Sweden for international student [ 6 Answers ]

Respected mentor I am Azhar Ayaz. I have got admission in M.S. Nanotechnology at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) Sweden. I don't have enough funds to bear my living and travel arrangement charges at Sweden. I am national of Pakistan (South Asian developing country). Can you guide me what...

Study in Canada (Hamilton) or Sweden ( Stockhom) [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone, Thank you for your kind helps that may assist me a lot. My nick name is Bruce from Thailand, I got offer of place from McMaster uni to study pre-master (level 4) in Economcs before pursuing Master level later. Also I have been admitted to study at the Master's level in Economics at...

Teaching qualifications in sweden [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I finished my university course in 2003 and took some time away. I'm now thinking of becoming a teacher. I gained a 2;1 in my degree, and know the route to follow is the pgce route in england. However, I was wondering if it was possible to gain this, or equivalent, qualification in sweden? I...

View more questions Search