Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ooahawaii Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 11:34 PM
    401 k adding spouse name
    Does anyone know if you can add a spouse to an existing 401k?
    I was told that you can't and that it is the law. I am in Hawaii and not familiar with that.
    If this is correct, any suggestions besides liquidating and eat penalties and taxes to have both my wife and I on the same account. Roth, IRA's etc.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 25, 2007, 10:48 AM
    When you say "add a spouse" - do you mean add her as a beneficiary, or as a co-owner? By law, your spouse is automatically a beneficiary (unless she gives approval in writing to not be the beneficiary). But there can be only one owner - so if that's your question, then no, you cannot "add" a spouse as a co-owner of your account.

Why do you want to change the ownership anyway?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Citizen married filing separately, spouse lives outside US: does spouse need ITIN? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I am a US Citizen living in the US full time. My husband is German, living in Europe full time. We got married in the US in September 2006. My husband is applying for a green card but meanwhile cannot enter the US, due to immigration rules. Therefore we have not lived in the US together...

Adding spouse name to house deed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has a house that he is renting to tenants but he is still making mortgage payments and want to add my name to it what steps do I take to do take? Thank you, Mistyrita

Looking for my 401 [ 3 Answers ]

I need help if any one has any information to share, I would greatly appreciate. I have money invested in a retirement from a job I worked at about 5+ years ago. Since I quit, the medical clinic has closed it's doors. I can not remember the name of the retirement funds that we used and would...

401 k [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a penalty for borrowing on a 401 k?

401 (a) Plans [ 3 Answers ]

Are there folks out there who have had experience with 401 (a) plans? I'm a trustee and wonder if a 401 (a) wouldn't be better than a 401 (k). Thank you.

View more questions Search