Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TraciHardy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 08:30 PM
    Home AC Cold Air but not air flow weak
    The air flow from my home ac unit is not blowing very hard, there is cold air coming out of the vents but the air isn't blowing enough to cool the house. I've had it set at 75 all day and the house temp hasn't gone below 82. What can this be? I have called for service and unforunately they may not be able to come for 4 days, I live in Phoenix and it's mid - July, this is miserable. I'm hoping some one can suggest to me what it may be so when the tech comes I may have some clue so I don't get taken.

Also, Am I taking a risk by allowing it to continue to run? I don't want it to blow up or anything.
    hvacservicetech_07 Posts: 1,083, Reputation: 75
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Have you checked or replaced the filter lately?
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 08:59 PM
    `I agree you need to check the obvious things first , the filter and wash the condenser coil (out side unit) this should be done on a regular basis. Since it is not blowing very much air it might be icing up, look at the refrigerant lines at the air handler, do they have ice on them? If so turn on the heat for about 15 minutes, this will defrost them. Then turn A/C back on , could be low on refrigerant. Have it looked at to be sure.
    TraciHardy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Thank You so much for your quick responses. I had changed the filter yesterday morning and a few hours after that it started acting up. After I posted this question I had noticed water running from the ac unit down my roof, I thought this can't be good so I turned the unit off comlpetely. After about an hour I couldn't take it anymore the temp in house was over 90, so I turned it back on and it started working like normal and as of now it's still working fine. Could what happened be related to the high temps and humidity we are experiencing in phoenix? I'm guessing that maybe something built up and froze, as suggested by actec. I will still have a tech come and look at it, but is it possible for this to happen and work again. I am not able to wash condenser coils, I don't even know what that is and the units on the roof, I don't feel brave enough to climb up there and figure it out. So I will let the experts do it, I just want to know if that's possible so I can kind of know if the tech tries to say it's something that doesn't make sense with what happened
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2007, 10:36 AM
    A/C's will freeze up if the airflow is low or the refrigerant charge is low. Here are something's to check for airflow problems. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...tml#post269282

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weak air flow [ 3 Answers ]

I have Rheem 90 Plus imperial about 15 years old. I notice compared to newer or my neighbors systems I have very weak air flow. It will heat and cool the house, but seem like it takes forever. I checked to see if my blower was moving freely and it moves with the slightest touch which tells me the...

Low flow of air out from the ducts of a single story home [ 1 Answers ]

My house is a single story of 1700 sf of inside living space. Due to constant high gas montly bill of $ 240.00 and considering that that I keep the internal temperature from to 62 F to 64F , I found out that all the ducts do not provide an adeguate flow of war air in all rooms . So this is the...

No air flow from registers [ 6 Answers ]

I have no airflow from my registers. My compressor is running and my AHU is running. Any idea what the problem could be? I have shut the unit off for now. The problem exists on heat and cool and fan only mode.

Cold Air Registers Blowing Cold Air [ 3 Answers ]

Our cold air registers are blowing cold air worse than if the windows were open. The hot air registers blow cold air but not as forceful (maybe because they are 1/3 the size of the returns) This only happens when the furnace is off and we are heating with the wood stoves. We have metal ducting...

Day & Night forced air heater keeps blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday my heater was working as normal. Today I replaced the filter in my Day & Night forced air heater. Later I bumped my thermostat when walking by it, but I'm not certain that this caused the problem. My heater turned on and blew hot air. I turned it all the way down, but the fan...

View more questions Search