Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shakespear Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2007, 10:25 AM
    Horse problem
    Hello.
    I just recently took on an appaloosa. He is nippy and I gave him a bath but he was very nervous he was very scared. Does anyone have an tips about the biting and bath? He is also a little unsure about getting his back feet picked up.:confused:
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 10:40 AM
    You have to take baby steps with horses because their trust is broken very easily and it takes time to gain it back. Do you know this horses past? In order to prevent biting and nipping it is important NEVER to hand feed your horse anything; if you wish to give the horse a treat or snack then put it into a bucket and give it to it that way. Next, to eradicate this dangerous behavior, you want to set up with him the "black and white zone" to show him that this behavior is no longer going to be tolerated. White zone is when he's behaving and life is good. Black zone is when he crosses the line and tries to bite, and bigtime pressure is applied then to show him this is not allowed/will no longer be tolerated. Be consitant! When bathing your horse it's important to make it a good experience. Tie the horse comfortably and in a way where maxium movement is restricted. Let the horse hear the water before wetting him; they are often afraid of the noise and the looks of the hose so let it get used to that. When wetting the horse, work your way up. Start at the feet! It will eventually get used to bathing! You can give treats after bathing as well(IN A BUCKET! :)) If he is not picking his back feet up for you try squeezing the tendon in between the front of the foot and the back of the foot. You could also take the horse to your local farrier and he/she could help tremendously with this.

Jul 20, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Thank you for your help. I will definitely try that. The only thing is if he's being good in cross ties and want to give him a mint what do you suggest?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 11:06 AM
    You could give it to him on a plastic lid or plate, just not your hand.

Jul 20, 2007, 12:01 PM
    And also for the bathing I was wondering if it would help for him to be bathed with his mother. My friend part boards her so if they were bathed together would it help?
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 12:05 PM
    How old is the appaloosa? If he is still a foal, then yes this would probably make him more comfortable but on the other hand it is better to get him used to bathing alone. As long as you make if a nice and fun experience then he will get use to it pretty quickly. Do you have access to warm running hose water? This is must more relaxing than cold water.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Rank has given you some wonderful advice here.

I would just like to again stress that it is important that you take things very very slowly. Right now it is more important that this horse trusts you then he has a bath. Because, once he trusts you you will be able to do whatever you need to do to him.

His nippy behavior makes me wonder about his background. Rank is right with no hand feeding him. Please, though if he nips you, do NOT hit him in his face in retaliation. I am not saying that you wouold, but I just worn you against that. Such reaction will make your horse headshy and only make him more nervous around you.

Just take your time with each thing. And please keep us posted.

Jul 28, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Okay well it has been a while since I've last posted. He has gotten better with his nipping and we put him up for sale and someone bought him. A friend of the family so I can still see him. We looked at a new horse the other day. Hes a little head shy because of a little girl who didn't take care of him but I think there a way to help him. What do you guys think
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Shakes-

Please ask this as a new question... but include more info on the new horse. Best of luck to you.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 09:47 AM
    I'm glad to see that the nipping got a little better; hopefully his new owner will continue with what you have started. A head shy horse is a very common thing; it is connected with trust issues. I'll give you a few pointers that I have always used so let me know if it helps. Always approach the horse from the side of the head, not straight on. Do not look the horse in the eye, as they see that as a threat. Never let a horse sense that you're nervous, if you even are. Allow the horse to know you are there by humming something or talking sweet. Reach your hand slowly up to his nose. Try not to seem threatening. If the horse draws his head away, wait a few seconds before trying again. Gently rub his nose or forehead until he seems content, and proceed to stroke his back and neck before rubbing his face once again. You must earn this horse's trust which will take time. Try these steps every day, give it treats if it does well, and don't make sudden movements around the horse. Rome wasn't built in a day; he/she will get better :)
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Aug 18, 2007, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakespear
    Hello.
    I just recently took on an appaloosa. He is nippy and i gave him a bath but he was very nervous he was very scared. Does anyone have an tips about the biting and bath?. He is also a little unsure about getting his back feet picked up.:confused:
    First of all NEVER let YOUR HORSE EVEN TRY TO BITE YOU! EVEN IF HE SEEMS TO JUST BE "PLAYING" ORNOT DOING it hard you need to punish him within about 10 seconds use whatever is closest it there's nothing ti hit him with punch him HARD in the nose that is unexceptable behavior and if this seems a litlle harsh you can take the human abuse instead of opting for a little bit of horse abuse... usually if you give him a good whack oh yeah and make a scene like it's the worst thing he has even done it usually only takes a couple times don't be afraid to hurt them they are much bigger. And about the bath my horse is the same way you can tie him up and just make him stand there or you can teach him with astud chain over the nose when he moves jerk it.
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Aug 26, 2007, 02:44 PM
    Let me exsplain better about above comment, I see people that have horses treat them like puppies and they have the worst behaved horses, I never resort to hitting my horse for anything but BITING. There are usually some other form of punishment , for instance if a horses bucks you you stay on and ride out the bucks. Or if the horse throws his head you put a tie down. But when a horse bites if you don't do something drastic within 10 seconds the
    Horse may continue to bite which will make his long life as a horse a more difficult one. If you nip it in the bud and punish him as soon as he does it it will save him in the long hall and you. I may have sounded harsh at the above comment but people will smack a dog for biting or spank a child but then they act like its abuse for hitting a horse for biting.
    If you smack him hard because they are huge not a puppie or child, 1 time within 10 seconds they usually won't do it again. Or if there is awhip near by smack him hard with the whip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fighting Horse [ 4 Answers ]

I ride at a horse center where each week I ride a different horse. I once rode a gelding who would constantly fight for a longer rein, especially when I would try to halt him. If I gave him a longer rein, he would take advantage of that and try to take off. What do I do?

Horse [ 8 Answers ]

I was looking around for a safe horse for my 14 year old and I had stopped at a guys house cause he seen to have a lot of them, I had ask if he had any child safe well broken older horses (my child does know how to ride as I had tought her} any ways he told me he had a black gelding that's about 7...

Horse Died. [ 1 Answers ]

My horse was found dead this morning. Last night, we had a picnic and near the end, fireworks were set off. My horse was frightened of these. Would it be even possible that he could've suffered a heart attack from the fireworks? Or was it his old age that killed him? My horse was also 27 going on...

Greiving horse [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I have a horse who is greiving for his buddy, my other horse who was put to sleep 2 days ago suffering with laminitis. He is eating and drinking but is laying down most of the time with his head on the floor and I can see he is so sad. They were together for 22 years. Will he get over the...

Horse sense [ 2 Answers ]

Pull Buddy An out-of-towner drove his car into a ditch in a desolated area. Luckily, a local farmer came to help with his big strong horse, named Buddy. He hitched Buddy up to the car and yelled, "Pull, Nellie, pull!" Buddy didn't move. Then the farmer hollered, "Pull, Buster, pull!" Buddy...

View more questions Search