Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Jul 21, 2005, 06:22 PM
    Difference between "htm" and "html"
    Hello,

In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any?

For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers be directed to the correct one if it is only "htm"?

Thanks so much... we're moving to a new server and things are different, so thanks for the help.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2005, 02:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wzartv
    In all the websites I make, they all come out when loaded onto the server as a "htm" file. But I see others who have "html" files on their sites, what exactly is the difference, if any?
    There isn't any. They are both the same file type.
    For example: what is the difference between index.htm and index.html and will the nameservers be directed to the correct one if it is only "htm"?
    Most servers have a default file list that they will go through in order to determine what page to show first. For example, if you have a list that reads "index.html, index.htm, default.html..." if there is a index.html it will be shown as the index. If not the server looks for an index.htm, if that isn't found it's onto default.html and so forth. If you have an index.html & an index.htm, the index.html is what is going to be shown on going to that domain. I'm assuming that's what you mean. Nameservers are something different.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2005, 05:22 AM
    The l.

Seriously, there is no difference in file type. But when this all started, IBM/Microsoft based servers used the 8.3 naming convention. However, many WEB servers were (and still are) UNIX based which doesn't have that restriction. So HTML was abbreviated to HTM.
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Jul 22, 2005, 06:48 AM
    Ah, thank-you very much - we managed to get everything all up and running - and yes, we are on Unix servers. If you have a few extra seconds check out our brand new site at www.wzartv.com - Thanks everyone for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fan Blower not working in "ON" or "AUTO" in heat or AC [ 13 Answers ]

Got home from the Brewer game this afternoon and noticed the house was warm(78). Outside was 91. I checked the T-stat and it was set correct. Noticed the air vents weren't blowing anything. Went outside and the condenser and fan was running fine. Then I went downstairs to the furnace unit to see...

Who did this song: from the 80's, probably called "typical" or "that's typical" [ 2 Answers ]

Some lyrics as I hear them: Windowsill, my elbow's numb As I heard the door go and saw your car As it glides onto the road Double wasted dumbness Sodding off and I can't hear you go And that's typical There you sit in the driving seat

"ED" (Pronounced "Ayed") [ 4 Answers ]

Further comment re Morganite's comment in the initial discussion of the "ED":i.e., "The altar was built on Jordan's West Bank (some say on the East Bank)." I was reading an article recently that stated that archeologists searched for some time on the "East Bank" for the "ED" -- to no avail. ...

View more questions Search