Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2007, 03:41 AM
    So much good in the worst of us, so much bad in the best of us.
    Bishop Fulton Sheen said, in a radio program, "The good are not always good in all things, and the wicked are not always wicked in all things. As it has been said, 'There is so much good in the worst of us and so much bad in the best of us,' that it ill behooves any of us to talk about the rest of us.' "

A too cool quote, I thought, so I googled it to find out who said it and was surprised to see it attributed to
    Abraham Lincoln
    Robert Louis Stevenson
    Unknown
    Thornton Wilder (used in a play)
    Edward Wallis Hoch
    ... and there may be more.

How is it that such a modern saying (not more than 150 years old) can get lost like that? Does anyone have a source for who really said it?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2007, 04:59 AM
    You got the same information I got

The Oxford Dictionary of Quotations attributes this to Edward Wallis Hoch former Gov. of Kansas and notes that it has been 'attributed to many other authors.' It supposedly first appeared in the Marion Kansas Record, a paper owned by Hoch.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2008, 08:06 AM
    Hmm... this is definitely a puzzle...

I found the same quotation as tomder55 on this page (Robert Louis Stevenson- spurious quotations) but I also found an attribution to Joaquin Miller - who was alive at the same time as Edward Wallis Hoch... Joaquin Miller - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .
    Found one for James Truslow Adams, as well...

This is an interesting quest... thanks Rick! I'm going to keep looking...
    goodgame Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 30, 2011, 10:16 PM
    Many years ago I recall reading the quote in an old inspirational book from Ireland. I don't recall to whom the quote was attributed but I recall the quote in this way:

"There is so much good in the worst of us
    And so much bad in the best of us
    That it ill behooves any of us
    To rail at the faults of the rest of us."

This wording is much more lyrical and suggests Irish or English origin.
    TheMamBo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2013, 02:55 PM
    My Mom loved this quote, and I just came across a print of a cross stitch that my Mom had of a very similar quote -- It reads:

"There is so much good in the worst of us,
    And so much bad in the best of us,
    That it little behooves any of us
    To talk about the rest of us."

Beneath the quote are the initials "J.M." which seems to correlate with the authorship by Joaquin Miller mentioned above!

The print (very yellowed and cracked) had the copy write of the P.F. Volland Company of Joliet IL.
    Also, the image in the embroidery features an old fashioned lady in a bonnet and hoop skirt shown from the side watering her garden. There are birds in the sky and a colorful parrot on a branch above her. Above the quote are two silhouette profile medallions facing each other, one male, one female, and a basket of flowers between them. It's very sweet in it's old fashioned way.
    Although the quote has "J. M." below it, the initials below the embroidered picture are "H.J.M."

I posted a picture of the print here:
    https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1234851_10201027853752444_211776305_n.jpg

Hope this helps! -Therese

Curiouser and Curiouser!

I've scanned the print and posted it here:
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2015, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMamBo View Post
    My Mom loved this quote, and I just came across a print of a cross stitch that my Mom had of a very similar quote -- It reads:

"There is so much good in the worst of us,
    And so much bad in the best of us,
    That it little behooves any of us
    To talk about the rest of us."

Beneath the quote are the initials "J.M." which seems to correlate with the authorship by Joaquin Miller mentioned above!

The print (very yellowed and cracked) had the copy write of the P.F. Volland Company of Joliet IL.
    Also, the image in the embroidery features an old fashioned lady in a bonnet and hoop skirt shown from the side watering her garden. There are birds in the sky and a colorful parrot on a branch above her. Above the quote are two silhouette profile medallions facing each other, one male, one female, and a basket of flowers between them. It's very sweet in it's old fashioned way.
    Although the quote has "J. M." below it, the initials below the embroidered picture are "H.J.M."

I posted a picture of the print here:
    https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...11776305_n.jpg

Hope this helps! -Therese

Curiouser and Curiouser!

I've scanned the print and posted it here:
    Thanks for that addition, MamBo. That is cool. Note: The link to the picture does not work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Good vs Bad [ 31 Answers ]

Here is a good one. How do u difrence between good and bad. If a bad action can bring something good what kind of action is it? I have heard a lot of sentences like, why God permits bad things to happen, well maybe they are not bad as we think they are. Maybe it is possible that there is no good...

Good or bad [ 1 Answers ]

Stock price maximization good or bad for sociaty

Good or bad diet? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best most effective diet to go on I have tried low carb gained it back AND SOME then weight watches time consuming and didn't have the money so what else is out there?? I thought about trying the order the food and it comes to your house deal but I am so busy working and taking care of...

Bad or good ! [ 20 Answers ]

Dear exerts , How can you tell whether your spirituality is in the right direction or wrong?? Regards Navid

Good or bad? [ 19 Answers ]

So there is this guy at work who I get on with really well. We are always telling each other jokes and having a laugh. However, he has recently startd being overly nice. Everyday I come into work, he will shout hello and then follow with "you look very nice today" - it's really nice and made...

View more questions Search