Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xoxlegallyblondexox Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 03:54 PM
    18 single mother, never married.custody rights?
    Im 18 years old. I had my son May 2nd of this year! My sons father and I didn't get married, and I don't plan to marry him! But my question is.. what are his rights? As the father.. his name IS on the birth certificate. :mad: but there was nothing I could do about it! We live in Gwinnett County, Georgia and I don't know the laws.. or rights that he does have. I don't want brayden going off by himself with his father.. because he drinks a lot and drives. Therefore I don't feel like he would be safe. His father has been in and out of jail for the past 9 months. Due to probation voilations. If ANYONE can help. I would greatly appreciate it!
    Thank you!
    Katie
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 04:36 PM
    You need to go to court and file for custody of the child. As it stands now he has as many rights as you have. This filing for custody will not have any bearing on child support or visitation. That will have to be done separately. Even if you file for support he will still have to file for visitation. Likewise if he files for visitation you will have to file for support. One has nothing to do with the other.

Jul 19, 2007, 04:54 PM
    How do I file for custody? And what happends after I do that?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 19, 2007, 05:06 PM
    Either get an attorney or go to Family Court and ask the procedure. They will explain what you need to do and what will happen.

You should be able to obtain custody and child support. But you will probably not be able to deny him visitation if he asks for it. You may be able to limit visitation to supervised.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 05:42 PM
    CFFPP: Legal Assistance—Georgia Question and Answer Handbook for Custodial Parents Out of curosity I searched some info on Georgia. The laws on custody in my state are different that Georgias. According to this site you have custody of the child. To be sure I would follow up with family court in your area they should be willing to answer your questions or your local police department may be willing to answer you.

Jul 21, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Thank both of you so much!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a single mother need to file for full custody [ 12 Answers ]

Im a single mothe with 1 baby who is currently 1 yr and 7 months in california san diego , i currently receive child support started this month and the father of the child is currently in louisiana and want to have my daughter for a month i don't mind him wanting to spend time with her but...

Single mother filing for full custody [ 3 Answers ]

Hi My name is Jen, My daughter was born may2nd and her father signed paternity papers so that she would have his last name. Stupid of me I know. I want to file for full custody but I'm not sure exactly how it works. Once he is served court papers I'm afraid he will try and take her. What do I do?

NJ Single Mother custody battle [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, I'm an NJ single mom and I have a one year old son. His father is not on the birth certificate, but he does sporadically/inconsistently sends child support. I lied to the social services people and said that he pays $100/mo so that I don't have to go to court to get child support ( I...

I am a single mother [ 10 Answers ]

I want to know what my rights are as a single nonmarried mother?

How come single men fall for emtional games from single women but not married ones? [ 75 Answers ]

Okay this was brought up in another post by Wildcat. I didn’t want to take away from the original poster but this has been on my mind all day and I just want to get some other feedback on it. The OP was a mistress and as WC points out we’ve been seeing a lot of that here lately. Here’s what WC...

View more questions Search