Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Jul 19, 2007, 12:03 PM
    Is my bathroom exhaust vented?
    Hi, I just bought a house and the bathroom exhaust fan is broken. In replacing it, it occurs to me that it might not be vented to the outside. (I think it's vented to the attic only.)

I have a very narrow attic (1.5 feet) and its not feasible to sqeeze in there to check.

There is a pipe vent on the roof above the bathroom, but when I poke my head in the attic, I see no vent down to the bathroom.

I also see soffit "perforations" near the bathroom but can't tell if they are part of the bathroom exhaust. (Or if a soffit vent is used for other applications.)

Any help is appreciated!

EDIT: And, if it seems there is no outside exhaust, is it reasonable to vent the bathroom into the attic?
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 12:29 PM
    Nothing wrong with that. All in may area are just vented to the attic. Not any thing wrong with it just terminating at the soffit.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 06:58 PM
    The homes in my area are required to take the vent to a outside screen , vent through roof or dormer vent .The only reason to take it outside is to remove oders and moisture. If you wanted to add a vent to your exhauster it might be easier to reach through roof vent and attach, the flexible aluminum vent is the easiest, you can cut it with a kitchen knife.
    antipode12 Posts: 248, Reputation: 8

Jul 21, 2007, 10:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acetc
    The only reason to take it outside is to remove oders and moisture.
    That's the crux of my question, I guess: does anyone have any experience with a bathroom fan that vents into an attic? Will it cause mildew , mold or odor?

I mean, I get how it theoretically *could*. But, does it? Horror stories?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 04:54 AM
    If you live in a cold climate, the vent should go outside. Condensation, even ice, can form on the roof decking and ruin your roof.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2007, 07:36 AM
    I guess I have never seen one vented to the outside, Every home I have ever owned or lived in ( if they had a vent at all) were just all vented to the attic. ( which of course the attic itself is then vented)
    ** and I have owned 100's of homes over the years. ( buy and sell)

*** it must have to do with regions of the country.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Local codes here have required vents to go outside for better than 20 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Exhaust fan in bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I am wiring a new bath and would like to know if code requires an Exhaust fan in bathroom.

Bathroom Exhaust Fan Wiring [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to wire an exhaust fan to an bathroom light switch; how do I go about doing this project. The existing light switch is a single pole, and I assume I will need to install another double box for two (2) switches - one for the existing light and the other for the NEW exhaust fan. ...

Exhaust Venting a new bathroom [ 1 Answers ]

I am adding a new bathroom where an old bedroom used to be on the first floor of a two-story house w/ attic. The bathroom does not share an exterior wall; it is separated from the exterior by a room. I am having difficulty finding a pathway to install the ducting from the fan through to the attic...

Bathroom Exhaust fans [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if this is really a plumbing question but it has to be close. If I am building a bathroom in my basement and I am only putting in a whirlpool tub will I still need an exhaust fan? If so do I just run a vent pipe from the exhaust fan straight out the side of my house?

Installation of a Bathroom exhaust fan [ 6 Answers ]

My source of power is originating from a light fixture and then goes to a switch. I've pulled a cable from the switch box to a bathroom exhaust fan and wanted to find out how to go about wiring it up. What would normally be a neutral wire (white wire) in this case ends up being the live wire...

View more questions Search