Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickieyes Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2005, 01:41 PM
    Please help... Cable Internet Connection Not Working
    Hello:

I hope someone can help me with this.

I know the basics of a computer and am trying to help my neighbor with their internet connection. They have a cable connection coming into their home. They have a computer on the first floor and one on the second both running Windows XP home edition with SP 2. The problem is they can't connect to the internet. Nothing has changed on either computer. Nothing added nothing removed…according to them….Anyway, when you open a browser it says "Page cannot be displayed." If I try to ping a website I get no replies. If I move the cursor to the little network icon in the lower right corner near the clock, a balloon window pops up and if I clicl on status another window pops up that states that states we are connected at 100mbps and below that it shows that a very small amount of packets are being sent and NONE are being received. If I go to a dos prompt and do an ipconfig they have ip addresses and subnet masks but there is no default gateway. Don't you need a default gateway? With this amount of information I have given you do you have any ideas or clues as to where I can go with this problem? I have tried rebooting the computers. I have tried rebooting the cable modem all with no success. You can contact me at [email protected] or [email protected].

Thanks,

Paul
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2005, 05:05 PM
    If it was working and then quit, it could be the cable. Check with the provider. Also check any connections between the computer and the incoming line.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Jul 21, 2005, 11:23 AM
    Ipconfig
    Go to DOS (START>RUN>CMD) and enter IPCONFIG/ALL... study or post your results...

P2E
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Paul,
    First, replies are posted here. Not direct e-mail.

Second, you mention he has 2 computers. Is he using a router to share the Internet? Did you try connecting the cable modem directly rather then through the router?

Have you tried calling Optium Online tech support? They are pretty good.
    fiara Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 02:30 AM
    Yes, it must be a gateway.
    The only time you don't need a gateway is when you have
    Communication between computers on the same network
    (with the same mask).

But you have to give us some more details about the network.
    To have an internet connection shared by two computers, you
    Need either a router or one of the two computers to act like a router
    (it must have at least two net cards).
    nickieyes Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 11:08 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks to all of you who responded. ScottGem... sorry about the personal e-mail issue. I didn't mean to break any of the rules of the group.

Unfortunately the person has gone on vacation for 2 weeks starting today so I will not have access to the computers again until sometime after Thursday Aug 25th. If this post has not expired by then, I will answer all of your questions. Once the issue is resolved I will post here what steps I took to resolve the problem(s).

Thanks again to all of you.

N

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Direct Cable Connection using Ethernet ports. [ 7 Answers ]

I would like to connect my LAptop to my Desktop at home. I know we should use a cross-over cable to connect the Ethernet ports. But I have no clue as to what are the steps / procees I should follow to mak this connection happen. I would like to have the step by step procedure as what is to be...

Wireless/cable internet connection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have 2 issues. Now I am new to this, so please don't judge me. 1) I was recently by my friend with my laptop (has wireless connectivity). I was able to connect to the wireless modem - got an ip address, subnet mask, and default gateway - but, still couldn't connect to the internet. I...

Home Wireless network + Cable Internet [ 4 Answers ]

So cable internet finally got cheap enough here in Croatia, and I consider switching to it. I'm currently using a LAN of 3 computers, connected through a switch. I'm also considering switching to wireless network because I'll have to move the main computer to another room, which would cause me to...

Cable connection sharing with a hub/switch [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a cable internet connection and want to share it with my three pcs all having windows xp , I have three cat5 cables and a 5- port switch , my broadband modem is a motorola surfboardsb 5100 usbcable modem, I tried to connect all of my pcs but not success , I run a set of setting a home...

Internet connection [ 1 Answers ]

Dear group I've a P4 1.7MHz PC with 128Mb RAM, loaded with WinXp OS. My problem is as soon as turning on my computer the IE is loading automatically and made a connection to my default home page, without any permission. What is the problem and how can I solve it? Any help will be thanked

View more questions Search