Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 11:13 AM
    A global warming victim
    Snowless in a warming world, ski resort in French Alps bids adieu

ABONDANCE, France: Muddy slopes, slushy peaks, unused lifts — this town in the French Alps is living out the nightmare of many a ski resort in a century scientists say is doomed to keep getting warmer.

The city council of Abondance — its name a cruel reminder of the generous snowfall it once enjoyed — voted last month 9-6 to shut down the ski station that has been its economic raison d'etre for more than 40 years. The reason: not enough snow.

Abondance is the French Alps' first ski station to fall apparent victim to global warming. It will almost certainly not be the last...

The Alps as a whole, which pull in about 70 million tourists every year primarily for winter sports, are "particularly sensitive" to climate change, according to a study last winter by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

It calls climate change a serious threat to Alpine ski resorts and the regional economies that depend on them. The most recent World Cup ski circuit was badly hit by lack of snow, with several races in the Alps — even at high altitudes — called off.

In Switzerland, melting permafrost has forced several companies to take technical measures to ensure their stations don't fall off the mountain.

Last week, a commercial court in Lyon put the Transmontagne company, which operates mid-altitude resorts in France, Switzerland, Italy and Slovenia, under bankruptcy protection for the next six months. Warming weather is seen as a key reason for its financial woes.

Abondance's troubles are alarming towns in the surrounding valleys. Homeowners fear a crash in housing prices. Neighboring La Chappelle-d'Abondance is considering changing its name to dissociate itself from the shutting station.

Abondance Mayor Serge Cettour-Meunier fears that the closure of his station is the start of a troubling trend. "Skiing is again becoming a sport for the rich," since only elite high-altitude resorts will have sufficient snowfall, he said...

The OECD report said warming in the Alps in recent years has been roughly three times the global average...

Skiers who once frequented Abondance are likely to head to larger, higher stations elsewhere in the French Alps. But even some large, high stations in Switzerland have already resorted to artificial snow in recent years.

For smaller stations like Abondance, snow-sprayers are not a viable option since they require a minimal snow cover, and the high temperatures melt any snow fast...

The regional council for the Haute Savoie region refused the mayor's request for aid, deeming the station no longer profitable.

The news of the closure has hit hard in this town that has revolved around the ski station since 1964. Sporting good stores and restaurants specializing in local cheese dominate the town's main street.

"The mayor made a courageous, realistic and calm decision," said retired dairy farmer Andre Gagneux.

Restaurant owner Marie-Jane Teninge, 61, disagreed.

"I am skeptical about global warming. It's just a matter of cycles," she said, adding that she was ready to pay more taxes to keep the station open.
    Sigh... one more "cruel reminder," one ski resort down, one courageous decision, skiing will only be for the rich - are we doomed? Perhaps if we just dissociate ourselves from global warming like La Chappelle-d'Abondance is considering, we can avert this crisis.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Maybe they can go to Australia for some good skiing

All white out on Aussie slopes | NEWS.com.au

Did the French ever hear of snow making devices ? Or does that leave too big a carbon footprint ?
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    maybe they can go to Australia for some good skiing
    Skiing down under, sounds like a blast. They could always ski here as well, Utah had record numbers of skiers this past season in spite of a 'lean' snow year - Alta only received 402 inches. Whiteface (Lake Placid), N. Y. had a record high of 263 inches, Mt. Baker, Wash. Was above average with 659 inches, Mt. Rainier Paradise, Wash. Was below average with 543 inches and there were no record lows.

Did the French ever hear of snow making devices ? Or does that leave too big a carbon footprint ?
    According to the article, "For smaller stations like Abondance, snow-sprayers are not a viable option since they require a minimal snow cover, and the high temperatures melt any snow fast."

They could always switch to 4-wheeling. Oops, that would only make things worse :D
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 02:46 PM
    How about Chile? I've had friends go there to ski and claimed to have a great time.

On the other hand, I can remember times of no snow on the slopes of NH not too many years ago.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    How about Chile? I've had friends go there to ski and claimed to have a great time.

On the other hand, I can remember times of no snow on the slopes of NH not too many years ago.
    Hey, not a bad idea. Plus, they're making some great wines :)
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Global warming my foot! You can ski in Hawaii!

Skiing on the Big Island of Hawaii

Be honest, how many of you knew that? :)
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jul 23, 2007, 06:14 PM
    And, I read somewhere, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away... No, really, Taos Ski Resort, in New Mexico, wanted to add snowmaking to the already, are you ready for this, 300+ inch natural annual base!

Taos, New Mexico - Area Information & Statistics

Was that a misprint? Wow! Now, I'm sure some of that melts, and snows, and melts, but still...
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jillianleab
    Global warming my foot! You can ski in Hawaii!

Skiing on the Big Island of Hawaii

Be honest, how many of you knew that? :)
    It wouldn't have been my first thought but I honestly did know that :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 06:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    And, I read somewhere, a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.... No, really, Taos Ski Resort, in New Mexico, wanted to add snowmaking to the already, are you ready for this, 300+ inch natural annual base!!

Taos, New Mexico - Area Information & Statistics

Was that a misprint? Wow! Now, I'm sure some of that melts, and snows, and melts, but still...
    Yep, they make snow in Taos and elsewhere in NM - it's nothing new, except for perhaps that Taos now does it top to bottom on the west side of the mountain. You know of course, part of that snow making is to try get the slopes open earlier and close later.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 24, 2007, 08:44 AM
    Oh... my... G-d... this is the worst news I have ever heard. Without the French ski resorts, the entire world will turn topsy-turvey. It will mean doom and disaster for every heterosexual male in the world...

... no more French ski-bunnies.

YEARRGGHHH!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 09:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    Oh... my... G-d... this is the worst news I have ever heard. Without the French ski resorts, the entire world will turn topsy-turvey. It will mean doom and disaster for every heterosexual male in the world...

...no more French ski-bunnies.

YEARRGGHHH!!!
    That's OK, I prefer my ski bunnies without armpit fur. :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    But do you know anyone better at giving "french lessons" than a French girl?
    Well, we don't have many French girls in the Texas Panhandle, but there are plenty of fine - and legal - Senoritas :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another global warming tragedy [ 11 Answers ]

Warming causing gray whales to lose weight, say scientists I tried but could not find a photo of one of these skinny whales. But I have an idea, instead of a "fat tax" why not promote global warming as a way to combat obesity?

Benefits of global warming [ 26 Answers ]

Anyone catch this article a few days ago? But don't get excited... Like the scientists I'm still trying to figure this out. We could see both increased agricultural production and "planet-wide food" shortages, and both "mass flooding" with "planet-wide" water shortages. I wish...

The Great Global Warming Debate [ 2 Answers ]

First let me state that I don't hold ALGOR or his scientific credentials in high esteem. I recently did a Google search for "The Great Global Warming Swindle", and viewed a compelling 75 min video, and several others on both sides of the issue. The fact that CO2 is but .35% of the Earth's...

Global Warming again. Al Gore, SHAME on you! [ 20 Answers ]

Judge for yourselves: Urban Legends Reference Pages: A Tale of Two Houses To Al Gore, Richard Dreyfuss, Alec Baldwin and the rest of the likes of you: Move to another planet and quit your lying and fearmongering! ... rant over...

BBC and the global warming threat [ 3 Answers ]

How many BBC news articles have there been in the past five years on global warming that present it as a legitimate threat to the earth as opposed to the articles that present it as a hoax?

View more questions Search