Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2005, 11:07 AM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan/light
    I had to take the fan/light down and in doing so don't remember wiring senario that makes the wall switch work the light portion. There are 4 wires coming down from the ceiling of which 2 are still connected. The wiring for the light is still in tact and marked, neutral, light etc. What wires do I reconnect to make the wall switch and pull chains work again.. thanks

[email protected]
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2005, 09:36 AM
    Ceiling Fan
    Hi,
    I'm sorry, but I will not attempt to give a specific answer, as I know some other volunteer can give you better information.

But, whenever you take apart any electrical equipment, ALWAYS, (beforehand), label the wire coming into the connection, with the same labeling going away from the connection.
    Use a piece of Masking Tape, or anything.
    Such, as #1 and #1, etc.
    In that way, you will know how to hook it up again!
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    [email protected] Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2005, 06:00 AM
    Hampton Bay light
    Very good suggestion, thank you.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2005, 07:46 AM
    I don't understand the problem. If 2 of the wires were never disconnected, the other 2 must be the switched hot and neutral. I am not going to try to sort out the 3 way switches over the net. Check which wires go to each switch and the fan. You have a pair of wires that is the feed. You must have at least 2 wires going to the fan plus a 3 conductor with ground connecting the switches. There are several different ways to make then work. The switches are double pole. The contact at the bottom is switched back and forth between the 2 at the top. See if you can draw a diagram where it would work right. If you can't, check a reference work on how 3 way switches work. If you can't work it out, post back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hampton bay ceiling fan-light works-fan doesn't [ 6 Answers ]

I installed a new Hampton Bay ceiling fan outdoors and the light works from a wall switch but the fan doesn't work at all. There is a white, black, red and ground wire coming from the ceiling. There is a white, black, black/white stripe (light) and green ground coming from the fan. I attached...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan - Light Comes On By Itself [ 15 Answers ]

Just installed a Hampton Bay ceiling fan with the remote control for the fan and the light. Old house and I it's my first time installing a fan. Pretty proud and works pretty well. O.K. just a little wobble. After a while of operation, the light comes on without anyone touching the remote. ...

Hampton Bay Ceiling fan light kit... [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan installed and accidentally purchased one without a light in it. I need a light in the room that it is installed, but am having trouble as to which wires the light kit goes to. I opened the ceiling fan and it has a 6 or 8 pin connector, but not any loose wires to...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fans w/ light kit [ 5 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan which recently we heard "pop" rather loudly. There was no smoke or odor, just the "pop". The ceiling fan itself still runs. The light kit though will not turn on. I have already changed out light bulbs that I know work, to no avail. Anyone know if the "box" which is inside...

Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan light [ 6 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where I can find a replacement bulb for a ceiling fan I purchased at Home Depot a (hampton bay). The bulb is a mini spiral fluorescent with the writing on the side being--PLS13 Warm White, it has 4 pins. And is the push in type. Thanks

View more questions Search